+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit to PR

Jan 7, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I am Adeel Siddiqui, I am doing a PGDM from DLI approved college, I will get a one-year open work permit after the completion of my course my query is as below:
  • If I will apply for the PR in the CEC category (after getting one year of Canadian Experience) and my PR application is refused then what would be the implication of that scenario (can I apply for PR again)
  • If my PR application is in process and I have applied for the extension of open work permit and the work permit extension request denied what would be the implications of that scenario.
P.S: I have 4-year of Indian Work experience, which also increases my CRS score.

Kindly let me know about the above.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

I am Adeel Siddiqui, I am doing a PGDM from DLI approved college, I will get a one-year open work permit after the completion of my course my query is as below:
  • If I will apply for the PR in the CEC category (after getting one year of Canadian Experience) and my PR application is refused then what would be the implication of that scenario (can I apply for PR again)
  • If my PR application is in process and I have applied for the extension of open work permit and the work permit extension request denied what would be the implications of that scenario.
P.S: I have 4-year of Indian Work experience, which also increases my CRS score.

Kindly let me know about the above.
Thanks
A 1 year PGWP is really a bad plan if your aim is to get PR. You should take a second 1 year program after you finish your PGDM so that you qualify for a 3 year PGWP and give yourself a higher chance and longer window to qualify for PR.

- Yes, you can apply for PR again if you are refused under CEC. Note that having 1 year of Canadian work experience doesn't automatically mean you will get an invitation under CEC. It will depend on the number of points you have and whether you get an invitation through Express Entry. Note that there haven't been any CEC draws since September.
- If your OWP is denied, then you will fall out of status in Canada. You will need to apply to restore your status to visitor to remain in Canada. However this won't allow you to work. To be able to work again, you will need to secure a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer will need to get an approved LMIA so that you can qualify for a closed work permit.

This is why the 1 year PGWP is a bad plan. It leaves you with extremely little room to qualify and very little room for errors.

Jan 7, 2022
A 1 year PGWP is really a bad plan if your aim is to get PR. You should take a second 1 year program after you finish your PGDM so that you qualify for a 3 year PGWP and give yourself a higher chance and longer window to qualify for PR.

- Yes, you can apply for PR again if you are refused under CEC. Note that having 1 year of Canadian work experience doesn't automatically mean you will get an invitation under CEC. It will depend on the number of points you have and whether you get an invitation through Express Entry. Note that there haven't been any CEC draws since September.
- If your OWP is denied, then you will fall out of status in Canada. You will need to apply to restore your status to visitor to remain in Canada. However this won't allow you to work. To be able to work again, you will need to secure a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer will need to get an approved LMIA so that you can qualify for a closed work permit.

This is why the 1 year PGWP is a bad plan. It leaves you with extremely little room to qualify and very little room for errors.
Thanks for your reply,
I have 4 years of Indian work experience, after my course in Canada I will get the one-year open work permit, if during 1-year OWP I get the job my CRS will be "516". will in this scenario a one-year window for applying PR in CEC be a bad idea?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply,
I have 4 years of Indian work experience, after my course in Canada I will get the one-year open work permit, if during 1-year OWP I get the job my CRS will be "516". will in this scenario a one-year window for applying PR in CEC be a bad idea?
Are you including 50 points in this calculation for having a job offer?

Are you including points for having one year of Canadian work experince?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So for the first one, you cannot count the 50 points for having a job offer unless your employer obtains an approved LMIA. Since you will be on a PGWP (open work permit), simply getting a job will not be enough to claim the job offer points. You need the approved LMIA as well. Generally speaking, most employers are not willing to go through the LMIA process. So I would not count on being able to claim these points.

For the second, with just a 1 year PGWP, you may find it challenging to get a skilled job fast enough to get a year of full time work experience in Canada before the PGWP expires. This is why this is a very risky plan and you are far better off with a 3 year PGWP. Of course it's ultimately your choice.