+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work permit if inside canada

latte

Dec 7, 2009
hi everyone..

i came here in canada with a tourist visa. i had an employer, LMO and applied for working visa submitted in buffalo.

now..i have a working visa, they told me to leave canada and get my work permit at a port of entry.
i am here in winnipeg, manitoba..do i still need to go out of the country??
or can i just go to the nearest port of entry and get a work permit from there?
where is the nearest port of entry?
do i still need to get a US visitor's visa to enter the port of entry?

response would highly be appreacited. thank you!!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
latte said:
hi everyone..

i came here in canada with a tourist visa. i had an employer, LMO and applied for working visa submitted in buffalo.

now..i have a working visa, they told me to leave canada and get my work permit at a port of entry.
i am here in winnipeg, manitoba..do i still need to go out of the country??
or can i just go to the nearest port of entry and get a work permit from there?
where is the nearest port of entry?
do i still need to get a US visitor's visa to enter the port of entry?

response would highly be appreacited. thank you!!
Go to the nearest port of entry and get your work permit from there.

Found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canada_%E2%80%93_United_States_border_crossings

latte

Dec 7, 2009
wow..that was fast reply!
thank you!!

but will they just let me go to the border even without US tourist visa?

thank you very, very much!!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
latte said:
wow..that was fast reply!
thank you!!

but will they just let me go to the border even without US tourist visa?

thank you very, very much!!
I'm not sure about this but I think the US CBP officer will deny your entry and turn you back but it will not affect future visa apps to the US. Just explain that you are there to get your work permit. Make sure that you have your letter of instruction from Buffalo, your LMO/contract (if any), and of course your passport. You may not even need to really go to the US side if there's a way you can do a U-turn. Explain to the CBSA (?) officer that you are there to pick up your work permit.

Gwendoline

Dec 1, 2009
hi. I did some research on that. and I found out, that if your country is part of the visa waiver program, you can go to the border, purchase a waiver visa and your allowed to stay in the states for a certain time.
the only thing you have to have if you arrive by ship or plane is an ESTA authorization. if you drive by car, you won't need it.
I am german so I found my information on this website. you may wanna check for you country.
http://germany.usembassy.gov/germany/visa/vwp.html

The Visa Waiver Program - Visa Waiver Program
Attention: As of January 12, 2009, all nationals or citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries who plan to travel to the United States for temporary business or pleasure require an approved Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to the United States under the VWP.

hope it helps. good luck!

lorela

Dec 18, 2009
Hi jobseeker,

I've enjoyed reading of your forum. Co'z I was related with the same situation and I learned a lot of things.

Please give me advise to my situation. I have my LMO but my visa and work permit expired last october.
I stop working. I also filed my restoration and work permit in the cic. If its possible that I can get a work permit
immediately at the port of entry than to wait for the decision of my restoration.

Hope for your response as soon as possible.

Thank you.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
lorela said:
Hi jobseeker,

I've enjoyed reading of your forum. Co'z I was related with the same situation and I learned a lot of things.

Please give me advise to my situation. I have my LMO but my visa and work permit expired last october.
I stop working. I also filed my restoration and work permit in the cic. If its possible that I can get a work permit
immediately at the port of entry than to wait for the decision of my restoration.

Hope for your response as soon as possible.

Thank you.
Hi Lorela,

I am not sure if going to the border will work in your case because your work visa has expired. You may have to wait for the result of your restoration and application for your new work permit. Once you have your work permit you can then apply for your visa at a consulate/visa office outside Canada. People who do not need a visa or who already have their visas stamped on their passport can obtain their work permit at the border. You can call CIC and verify this though.