+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit for spouse of convention refugee

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Hi guys. I am convention refugee. My spouse is not. We applied for pr 30th May, 2023.
Can I apply open work permit for my spouse? I couldn't find how/where to apply for it.
Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys. I am convention refugee. My spouse is not. We applied for pr 30th May, 2023.
Can I apply open work permit for my spouse? I couldn't find how/where to apply for it.
Thank you.
No your spouse does not qualify for a WP. What is their status in Canada and how long have they been in Canada (likely as a visitor)? Did they enter before you got married? It is extremely rare for spouses of asylum claimants to be able to travel to Canada.

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
No your spouse does not qualify for a WP. What is their status in Canada and how long have they been in Canada (likely as a visitor)? Did they enter before you got married? It is extremely rare for spouses of asylum claimants to be able to travel to Canada.
Thank you. He came to the Canada before me. He is working for Consulate General under acceptance by global affairs. (He is not diplomat)
After my post here I contacted one of lawyer and he said that as a spouse of convention refugee he is eligible for work permit. He said because of this exemption he is eligible. He also added there is no government fee. We will just pay lawyer fee. I hope it's right:( https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/applicants-canada.html

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you. He came to the Canada before me. He is working for Consulate General under acceptance by global affairs. (He is not diplomat)
After my post here I contacted one of lawyer and he said that as a spouse of convention refugee he is eligible for work permit. He said because of this exemption he is eligible. He also added there is no government fee. We will just pay lawyer fee. I hope it's right:( https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/applicants-canada.html
Link doesn't say anything about spouse, but exemption is referring to Applicant.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Get another lawyer they don’t know what they’re talking about. The other issue is that your spouse is employed by a foreign country with special status in Canada so aren’t considered like the the general population.

Reactions: Canadian_rainbow

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Unfortunately yes or there was some miscommunication and the lawyer doesn’t realize you are a protected person.
It looks like just yes. Because he knows everything very well. I am protected person and he is not. He is working for their government. He knows everything. But looks like he is really sure what he says:( I afraid that if they just say you are eligible, because of money. He even said that there is no government fee for your wp application because your spouse (me) convention refugee.

himankkohli6

Jun 2, 2023
Thank you.
Can you share your refugee pr application timeline i also applied on same date as you did you received any temporary number for your file please tell ???

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
Can you share your refugee pr application timeline i also applied on same date as you did you received any temporary number for your file please tell ???
Hi. No, we did not received anything. Just when we submit application there was an automatic email says that we received your application. That's it. I think it's still too early to receive something.

himankkohli6

Jun 2, 2023
Hi. No, we did not received anything. Just when we submit application there was an automatic email says that we received your application. That's it. I think it's still too early to receive something.
Whenever you receive any mail from ircc please share with me as our submission date of pr was same i will also share it with you

altdiem

Jul 26, 2023
I think your lawyer is correct. Section 207 in whole is as follows:

Applicants in Canada

207 A work permit may be issued under section 200 to a foreign national in Canada who
  • (a) [Repealed, SOR/2017-78, s. 9]
  • (b) is a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class set out in Division 2 of Part 7;
  • (c) is a protected person within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Act;
  • (d) has applied to become a permanent resident and the Minister has granted them an exemption under subsection 25(1), 25.1(1) or 25.2(1) of the Act; or
  • (e) is a family member of a person described in any of paragraphs (a) to (d).

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-207.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think your lawyer is correct. Section 207 in whole is as follows:

Applicants in Canada

207 A work permit may be issued under section 200 to a foreign national in Canada who
  • (a) [Repealed, SOR/2017-78, s. 9]
  • (b) is a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class set out in Division 2 of Part 7;
  • (c) is a protected person within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Act;
  • (d) has applied to become a permanent resident and the Minister has granted them an exemption under subsection 25(1), 25.1(1) or 25.2(1) of the Act; or
  • (e) is a family member of a person described in any of paragraphs (a) to (d).

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-207.html
They may be able to obtain a WP. It will be dependent on many things including whether the spouse has maintained legal status in Canada. In the case where the foreign national has remained in Canada and left their post working for a foreign government in Canada there will likely be extra complications because once the person leaves the posting they are supposed return home.