+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit for Calgary

1_Soph_1

May 15, 2013
Hi guys,

I would like to migrate to Calgary and obviously need a visa with a work permit.
My parents are permanent residents already, but unfortunately the family sponsoring isn't available anymore.

I'm a qualified physiotherapist but I've only worked in my profession for 2 months so I can't apply for the Skilled Worker Visa.
I'm currently applying for a job in Calgary, but I doubt they'll give me an interview without a work permit. But without a job offer, I can't get a work permit, right?

Are there any other options that I might have overlooked?
What kind of visas could I apply for?

Thanks for your help!

Soph

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
More details needed. Where are you from? How old are you?

1_Soph_1

May 15, 2013
Hi,

I'm 25 from Germany, but am currently living in Ireland.

I work for Apple, yet Apple Canada is like a different company so I can't just transfer...

ErickNL

Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's definitely hard getting a job interview. Work on making yourself as attractive as possible. Have a great cover letter and a resume that makes you pop out. The usual pretty much, but +1. Also apply for everything in sight and I mean everything. Don't get too focused on a job you want to do. What you want to do is move to Calgary, so it might be that you have to settle for less. It's much easier being here working at a job that is not your dream-job and look for a new job in your field than do the same, but from abroad. Hope everything works out for you.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
This is probably your best bet: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/germany-allemagne/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?view=d

I am not sure on the particulars of Germany's IEC Visas - whether they're full, etc. However, it's probably the easiest way to get a work permit for Canada as it doesn't require a LMO or a job offer. It lets you go to Canada, travel and/or work. Using the visa, you do have the potential to qualify for CEC (Canadian Experience Class) if you can get enough work time in (although it can be difficult depending on the IEC agreement between Canada and your country). Alberta's PNP (Provincial Nominee Class) is rather generous too - although you do have to fit certain job codes and have employer support. I would get familiar with CEC and PNP (Alberta) before you come over here. Also, you'll want to check out requirements to practice your skills. Some professions require Canadian certification or licensure to practice. (Although it sounds like you may have already looked into this.)

Take a look and see what you think. :)

PS: You're very lucky. American's don't have this opportunity! I'm jealous! :)

1_Soph_1

May 15, 2013
Hey,

thanks v much for your replies!
That definitely helps, although I will need a job offer for the CEC as well and unfortunately there are only 3 places left for this year...

Does anyone have any information on when the family sponsoring for children comes back?
Both my parents are permanent residents, yet they can't sponsor me, which is a pity.

Is there a visa to apply for an open work permit, similar to the work&travel visa?

Soph

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
1_Soph_1 said:
Hey,

thanks v much for your replies!
That definitely helps, although I will need a job offer for the CEC as well and unfortunately there are only 3 places left for this year...

Does anyone have any information on when the family sponsoring for children comes back?
Both my parents are permanent residents, yet they can't sponsor me, which is a pity.

Is there a visa to apply for an open work permit, similar to the work&travel visa?

Soph
Sponsorship for children never went away. It doesn't sound like you're a dependant child, however. If you're working, you are no longer dependant. Over the age of 18, you must be a student to be considered dependant. (And no, going back to school will not fix that.)

1_Soph_1

May 15, 2013
Hi,

yeah that's what I meant. There is no sponsorship available for non-dependant children, or is there? If not, any ideas when that might be possible again?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
1_Soph_1 said:
Hi,

yeah that's what I meant. There is no sponsorship available for non-dependant children, or is there? If not, any ideas when that might be possible again?
No, there is no sponsorship for adult children unless your family lives in MB or SK. Then they may be able to help you through the family stream. The two programs vary - what qualifies is different for each. Other than that, there is nothing. However, some of the independant programs do offer you extra points for having family in Canada (Adaptability), so if/when you look into the other programs, you may get a little boost from your family.