August 30, 2013
Med's Done....
September 18, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
Help!

Can somebody tell how to extend work permit in Canada? My work permit will be expiring on December of 2014. Immigratiin incharge put a note on my current work permit that I have 2 years job offer. And that my passport is expiring on December 2014. And I was advise to extend my work permit a month before ny expiration. How to do? Do I need LMIA? of just a copy of my work permit and job offer and the new passport? Sorry I have no idea how to do it.

Please advise.

Thanks

britinvancouver

Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-07-2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015
LANDED..........
07-10-2015
bravia said:
Help!

Can somebody tell how to extend work permit in Canada? My work permit will be expiring on December of 2014. Immigratiin incharge put a note on my current work permit that I have 2 years job offer. And that my passport is expiring on December 2014. And I was advise to extend my work permit a month before ny expiration. How to do? Do I need LMIA? of just a copy of my work permit and job offer and the new passport? Sorry I have no idea how to do it.

Please advise.

Thanks
The job offer you got... did your work arrange for your work permit in the first place? Or did you arrange it yourself?

bravia

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 5, 2013
AOR Received.
?
Med's Request
August 30, 2013
Med's Done....
September 18, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
britinvancouver said:
The job offer you got... did your work arrange for your work permit in the first place? Or did you arrange it yourself?
I arrange it myself.

Thanks

bravia

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 5, 2013
AOR Received.
?
Med's Request
August 30, 2013
Med's Done....
September 18, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
britinvancouver said:
Hi. I just want to know if I can extend my WP via online or should be done on border? And if I'll be needing "LMIA for the extension.

Thanks

cesvmc

Aug 3, 2012
This was case, and i just recently got my approval on my application. Though I am still waiting for my actual new work permit.

My passport was expiring November 2014, but I could have my work permit extended until July 2015 to complete the two years. I also have that note in my work permit, that I need to submit my new passport for extension. But you have to do this like you are applying for new work permit. You just use the same documents plus the new passport and the application form.

You can do this online. www(dot)cic(dot)gc(dot)ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp

The documents i submitted are these. But please make sure you read everything. I am just sharing what I did.
(1) Form IMM5710E
(2) Checklist
(3) Old job offer which i used back in June 2013... But I advise that you ask your employer for a new one indicating the dates of extension. (Because this was the what the lawyer submitted for my friend.) But the old one works too, in my case.
(4) The same LMO which i used in June 2013.
(5) Old and new Passports in one file.
(6) Digital Photo. Check the specifications.
(7) For proof that you meet the requirement, i just used my old passport. i wasn't sure about this. lol.
(8)Letter of explanation
(9) Payment $155, i used credit card here.

Note: Make sure all documents are correct and final, before you do the payment. Because after you fill up your credit card details, as soon as you hit the button to send your payment, your application and everything will be submitted. You can't really go back. I was shocked when this happened to me but good thing all my documents were all good. I was expecting a button to "confirm" my payment. But the next window I saw was confirmation that my application was submitted.

I submitted my application Sept 11th, saturday. I regularly check the Processing Time. They worked on my file Oct 14th and says it will be 18days. But after 5 days, i check my myCic and i got the approval already.

Processing Time Link Here
www(dot)cic(dot)gc(dot)ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

Hopefully this helps. Good luck.

bravia

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 5, 2013
AOR Received.
?
Med's Request
August 30, 2013
Med's Done....
September 18, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
cesvmc said:
This was case, and i just recently got my approval on my application. Though I am still waiting for my actual new work permit.

My passport was expiring November 2014, but I could have my work permit extended until July 2015 to complete the two years. I also have that note in my work permit, that I need to submit my new passport for extension. But you have to do this like you are applying for new work permit. You just use the same documents plus the new passport and the application form.

You can do this online. www(dot)cic(dot)gc(dot)ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp

The documents i submitted are these. But please make sure you read everything. I am just sharing what I did.
(1) Form IMM5710E
(2) Checklist
(3) Old job offer which i used back in June 2013... But I advise that you ask your employer for a new one indicating the dates of extension. (Because this was the what the lawyer submitted for my friend.) But the old one works too, in my case.
(4) The same LMO which i used in June 2013.
(5) Old and new Passports in one file.
(6) Digital Photo. Check the specifications.
(7) For proof that you meet the requirement, i just used my old passport. i wasn't sure about this. lol.
(8)Letter of explanation
(9) Payment $155, i used credit card here.

Note: Make sure all documents are correct and final, before you do the payment. Because after you fill up your credit card details, as soon as you hit the button to send your payment, your application and everything will be submitted. You can't really go back. I was shocked when this happened to me but good thing all my documents were all good. I was expecting a button to "confirm" my payment. But the next window I saw was confirmation that my application was submitted.

I submitted my application Sept 11th, saturday. I regularly check the Processing Time. They worked on my file Oct 14th and says it will be 18days. But after 5 days, i check my myCic and i got the approval already.

Processing Time Link Here
www(dot)cic(dot)gc(dot)ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

Hopefully this helps. Good luck.
Thank you so much for a very informative reply. I was really worried that I'll be needing a new LMIA (LMO) to do extension, wherein that would cost $1K this time and thought my employer would be needing to do the same procedure of job posting for couple of weeks and stuff.

Just a quick one,

3.) for the job offer, If I submit a new one, is it the same content just current date and indicate the date of extension? or content would be different (based on current minimum wage and stuff)?

5.) Old and New passport, just the info page or should I include all visa issued to me by Canada and other countries?

7.) Proof that you meet the requirement, attach CV's? or

8.) Letter of explanation, please can you give me the content of your letter? if its okay?

p.s. Did you scan and attached all the documents that you used before when you apply the first visa/work permit?

Thanks again. Your reply was very informative and detailed. c",)

Best regards,

cesvmc

Aug 3, 2012
bravia said:
Thank you so much for a very informative reply. I was really worried that I'll be needing a new LMIA (LMO) to do extension, wherein that would cost $1K this time and thought my employer would be needing to do the same procedure of job posting for couple of weeks and stuff.

Just a quick one,

3.) for the job offer, If I submit a new one, is it the same content just current date and indicate the date of extension? or content would be different (based on current minimum wage and stuff)?

5.) Old and New passport, just the info page or should I include all visa issued to me by Canada and other countries?

7.) Proof that you meet the requirement, attach CV's? or

8.) Letter of explanation, please can you give me the content of your letter? if its okay?

p.s. Did you scan and attached all the documents that you used before when you apply the first visa/work permit?

Thanks again. Your reply was very informative and detailed. c",)

Best regards,
Hi,

3) Job offer - i am not sure. But i think just about the same. Just make sure it says something like "We wish to employ you for the remainder of the 24 months period stated in the LMO, ending on the (date)." This is mentioned in my new job offer but i wasnt able to include it in my application because my employer gave me this after i submitted my application. Too late already... I think this was the same format/content our lawyer used for my co-worker. My co-worker had the same situation with me. But she hired the lawyer to do extension application for her.

5) passport - your info page, plus you have to include the page of the stamp of your first entry. i think this is usually next to the visa page. this is important. it was mentioned in the website.

7) proof you meet the requirements - i didnt really know what to attach. but since my case was extension only due to passport expiry, that's why i attached my old passport... again i am not sure.... maybe you can use you CV.

8) letter of explanation - hmm.... something like this: "I am applying for work permit extension for the same employer with whom i currently hold a valid work permit. My request extension is from November 1, 2014 to July 30, 2015 to complete my two-year contract stated in my LMO. The validity of issued work permit to me was based on my old passport's expiry date. A note in my permit says I have to submit a copy of my new passport to extend my employment. I have attached in this application the copy of my new passport along with other documents. Should you have any other documents needed, please let me know."

P.S. Sorry I did not process my first work permit application. Our employer's lawyer did that for us. Those documents I mentioned, those are the ones I used for extension application. PLUS the current work permit (I forgot to mention about it). So i can't really give comparison of new work permit vs extension of work permit applications.

:)

bravia

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 5, 2013
AOR Received.
?
Med's Request
August 30, 2013
Med's Done....
September 18, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
cesvmc said:
Hi,

3) Job offer - i am not sure. But i think just about the same. Just make sure it says something like "We wish to employ you for the remainder of the 24 months period stated in the LMO, ending on the (date)." This is mentioned in my new job offer but i wasnt able to include it in my application because my employer gave me this after i submitted my application. Too late already... I think this was the same format/content our lawyer used for my co-worker. My co-worker had the same situation with me. But she hired the lawyer to do extension application for her.

5) passport - your info page, plus you have to include the page of the stamp of your first entry. i think this is usually next to the visa page. this is important. it was mentioned in the website.

7) proof you meet the requirements - i didnt really know what to attach. but since my case was extension only due to passport expiry, that's why i attached my old passport... again i am not sure.... maybe you can use you CV.

8) letter of explanation - hmm.... something like this: "I am applying for work permit extension for the same employer with whom i currently hold a valid work permit. My request extension is from November 1, 2014 to July 30, 2015 to complete my two-year contract stated in my LMO. The validity of issued work permit to me was based on my old passport's expiry date. A note in my permit says I have to submit a copy of my new passport to extend my employment. I have attached in this application the copy of my new passport along with other documents. Should you have any other documents needed, please let me know."

P.S. Sorry I did not process my first work permit application. Our employer's lawyer did that for us. Those documents I mentioned, those are the ones I used for extension application. PLUS the current work permit (I forgot to mention about it). So i can't really give comparison of new work permit vs extension of work permit applications.

:)
Thanks so much. You're a hero!

So I will advise my employer that they don't need to request LMIA for me.

Best regards,

cesvmc

Aug 3, 2012
bravia said:
Thanks so much. You're a hero!

So I will advise my employer that they don't need to request LMIA for me.

Best regards,
definitely you dont need a new LMIA.
because you only want to finish the duration of your old LMO.

where are you from?

cesvmc

Aug 3, 2012
My new work permit just came in the mail yesterday.
Just for everyone's information. This is application for work permit extension.

Sep 11, 2014 - application submitted online
Oct 14, 2014 - Cic started working on files submitted on Sep11-14, based on processing times page.
Oct 17, 2014 - file closed. decision was approved. but no message yet on myCic account.
Oct 18, 2014 - account was updated with message confirming my application was approved.
Oct 22, 2014 - new work permit received in the mail.

Note: my new work permit's validity was from Sep 24th to July 2015.
This means that my application was approved as early as Sep 24th
but I did not see any update on my myCic account on that day.
So you can't really tell when they are actually working on your file.

bravia

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 5, 2013
AOR Received.
?
Med's Request
August 30, 2013
Med's Done....
September 18, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
cesvmc said:
definitely you dont need a new LMIA.
because you only want to finish the duration of your old LMO.

where are you from?
Philippines. Currently at Saskatoon.
And you?

bravia

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 5, 2013
AOR Received.
?
Med's Request
August 30, 2013
Med's Done....
September 18, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
?
LANDED..........
?
cesvmc said:
My new work permit just came in the mail yesterday.
Just for everyone's information. This is application for work permit extension.

Sep 11, 2014 - application submitted online
Oct 14, 2014 - Cic started working on files submitted on Sep11-14, based on processing times page.
Oct 17, 2014 - file closed. decision was approved. but no message yet on myCic account.
Oct 18, 2014 - account was updated with message confirming my application was approved.
Oct 22, 2014 - new work permit received in the mail.

Note: my new work permit's validity was from Sep 24th to July 2015.
This means that my application was approved as early as Sep 24th
but I did not see any update on my myCic account on that day.
So you can't really tell when they are actually working on your file.
Hey, thanks for the information. Well done!.

In that case, I can apply mine by end of this month although expiration of my WP is on Dec2014. Since they waived the validity from the time you applied until the completion of your job offer.

Thanks again for your guidance. I guess I don't need to seek immigration consultant service anymore. :)

Regards,

cute28

Sep 17, 2014
Hi anyone can help me? I mailed my application for new work permit under LCP last monday and I was confused about the question for the past fives yrs if I lived to any other country besides my country and my current country of residence my problem is I didn't include Hongkong I worked there from 2011 to 2012 and my understanding for the question is wrong. But for the employment history I included that :( what should I do should I call the CIC. Is it possible cause for refusal? Help me please. Thank you

cesvmc

Aug 3, 2012
cute28 said:
Hi anyone can help me? I mailed my application for new work permit under LCP last monday and I was confused about the question for the past fives yrs if I lived to any other country besides my country and my current country of residence my problem is I didn't include Hongkong I worked there from 2011 to 2012 and my understanding for the question is wrong. But for the employment history I included that :( what should I do should I call the CIC. Is it possible cause for refusal? Help me please. Thank you
sorry, i am not really familiar with LCP. and i am not sure of the degree of importance of that information in your application.
maybe you can call CIC. or fill up the case-specific enquiry form online. but not sure if they will entertain your enquiry.

"Case Specific Enquiry
You may use this form if:

-You have submitted an application.
-Your application has exceeded normal processing times. We will not respond if your application is within normal processing times.
-You wish to report important changes, such as a change in address, births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in employment or urgent requests.
-You wish to change or add a Representative and you are ready to upload your Use of Representative Form (IMM5476).
-You hold a study permit issued before June 1, 2014, and need a letter confirming your ability to work off campus and need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). To receive a confirmation letter, you must:
select 'International Student – Confirmation letter to work off campus' in the form below,
provide your client ID number (unique client identifier),
provide your file number (study permit number), and
attach your Letter of Enrolment or Letter of Acceptance from a designated learning institution."

Sandhu55

Jun 20, 2020
Hello
Can anyone tell me what letter I need from employer to extend my work permit, my work permit expires in October 2020.