+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Extension While Applying for Permanent Residency Within Canada

bcgirlatheart

Jul 24, 2013
I am sponsoring my spouse who has applied for PR from within Canada through the spouse sponsorship program. He is currently on a work permit that is due to expire next month. We have sent in his work permit extension form in with the PR application a few weeks ago. Does this mean he has implied status and can keep working until he gets word on his work permit? Or does he need to stop working until he gets the work permit? Thanks!

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
Hello! This happened to me before... I sent an OWP application together with my PR application... _spousal sponsorship...(hubby sponsored me). I also have a close work permit. BTW, I am from Alberta.

What happened was, our application took longer than the usual processing... and my close work permit expired. So technically, I have an implied status... Later did I know, my healthcare coverage will expire when my close work permit expires... My passport is due to expire that time too, and an Implied status won't do anything for an application for a new passport. I have to have a VALID work permit to be able to apply (PHilippine passport). So I applied for a close work permit again just so I have healthcare coverage and can apply for a passport.

The time I was on IMPLIED STATUS... yes I worked continuously! so he can continue to work that's no problem. If your application is straight forward then you can just wait for the 1st stage approval then and have an OWP... If you are worried about healthcare coverage and stuff ..If I were you I'll apply under the employer again...

bcgirlatheart

Jul 24, 2013
Great, thank you for your help! It's nice to know of other people who were in the same situation and can share their experiences to make sure we're on the right path. :)

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
bcgirlatheart said:
I am sponsoring my spouse who has applied for PR from within Canada through the spouse sponsorship program. He is currently on a work permit that is due to expire next month. We have sent in his work permit extension form in with the PR application a few weeks ago. Does this mean he has implied status and can keep working until he gets word on his work permit? Or does he need to stop working until he gets the work permit? Thanks!
it depends. If you have filed an INLAND application, AND the work permit is extendable, then yes. If it's an IEC permit for example, then no. If you have an outland application, then there is no implied status either.
Sweden

alizzzzz

Mar 12, 2015
Hi there, I know this is an old post, I am just wondering if you guys send in the PR application (family sponsorship) with the work permit extension together to the same address - the CIC office in Ontario? or I have to mail the work permit extension to Alberta office?

Thanks a lot!!!