+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Delayed, Considering to Flagpole. Any Suggestions?

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015
Hi there,

My brother is one of the fortunate TRV holders who was able to get a Job offer. He is currently waiting for his work permit. He submitted his application online last January 2024. Most recent update that we got was when we sent the ATIP form IMM 5744 last June 2024.

Now, my sister is in a panic saying that he needs to get the work permit before February 2025 or else he needs to go back home. (Edit, His TRV was extended for 1 year prior to submitting the Work Permit application online).

1) As far as I know, the Feb 28, 2025 deadline is for the submission of Work Permit Application. If he already submitted it then he's safe. Am I correct?
Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/visit-to-work.html

It says there: To be eligible to apply, an applicant looking to benefit from this temporary public policy must
  • have valid status in Canada as a visitor on the day they apply
  • have a job offer that is supported by a labour market impact assessment (LMIA) or an LMIA-exempt offer of employment
  • submit an application for an employer-specific work permit no later than February 28, 2025
  • meet all other standard admissibility criteria
2) Do you recommend him flagpoling or is it better for him to wait because chances are better with Work Permit Applications online? He's waited 8 months anyway.

3) Is it true that Flagpoling is now limited at 12 U.S.-Canada border crossings?
We are from Alberta and based on this article we need to fly to BC to do that, correct?

Link: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7222111?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0Rb2YeDpS9zTCvqT1_QXXgnJzmfW2QooU6OPKMsx1xrgaen6uVfTlDA-8_aem_ybtVocrWNjpKqeBsaXHACA

Thank you in advance for the responses.
Spidermark

Last edited:

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hi there,

My brother is one of the fortunate TRV holders who was able to get a Job offer. He is currently waiting for his work permit. He submitted his application online last January 2024. Most recent update that we got was when we sent the ATIP form IMM 5744 last June 2024.

Now, my sister is in a panic saying that he needs to get the work permit before February 2025 or else he needs to go back home.

1) As far as I know, the Feb 28, 2025 deadline is for the submission of Work Permit Application. If he already submitted it then he's safe. Am I correct?
Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/visit-to-work.html

It says there: To be eligible to apply, an applicant looking to benefit from this temporary public policy must
  • have a job offer that is supported by a labour market impact assessment (LMIA) or an LMIA-exempt offer of employment
  • submit an application for an employer-specific work permit no later than February 28, 2025
2) Do you recommend him flagpoling or is it better for him to wait because chances are better with Work Permit Applications online? He's waited 8 months anyway.

3) Is it true that Flagpoling is now limited at 12 U.S.-Canada border crossings?
We are from Alberta and based on this article we need to fly to BC to do that, correct?

Link: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7222111?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0Rb2YeDpS9zTCvqT1_QXXgnJzmfW2QooU6OPKMsx1xrgaen6uVfTlDA-8_aem_ybtVocrWNjpKqeBsaXHACA

Spidermark
Probably flagpole if no decision by January next year. Coutts is a 24hr crossing with immigration services. Based on what I've gathered from experience of others on this forum and reading IRCC/CBSA operation manuals, the processing depends on the border agent. In a nutshell, if the case is not very complex, they might issue the WP. If it requires too much time (or they don't want to deal with it), they have the option to issue a TRP and ask the applicant to apply inland. Worst case scenario is denied entry.

Reactions: spidermark

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

Now, my sister is in a panic saying that he needs to get the work permit before February 2025 or else he needs to go back home.

Spidermark
Hopefully he has applied to extend his visitor status. Applying for a WP doesn’t guarantee approval.

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015
Probably flagpole if no decision by January next year. Coutts is a 24hr crossing with immigration services. Based on what I've gathered from experience of others on this forum and reading IRCC/CBSA operation manuals, the processing depends on the border agent. In a nutshell, if the case is not very complex, they might issue the WP. If it requires too much time (or they don't want to deal with it), they have the option to issue a TRP and ask the applicant to apply inland. Worst case scenario is denied entry.

Coutts is actually our first option since its the closest but based on the link I posted at #3, Flagpoling is now limited at 12 U.S.-Canada border crossings.
These are the borders in Quebec, Ontario and BC. Can I call Coutts to confirm?

Thanks

Last edited:

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015
Hopefully he has applied to extend his visitor status. Applying for a WP doesn’t guarantee approval.
Yes he did. He was extended for a year prior to submitting the Work Permit Application.

Correct, it doesn't guarantee approval specially in Flagpoling. This is why we just decided to apply online but it's already been 8 months so we are considering to finally go to the border.

Regarding the Feb 28, 2025 deadline, that is just for Submitting applications for WP correct?

Thanks

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Coutts is actually our first option since its the closest but based on the link I posted at #3, Flagpoling is now limited at 12 U.S.-Canada border crossings.
These are the borders in Quebec, Ontario and BC. Can I call Coutts to confirm?

Thanks
Yes, still limited to the best of my knowledge. See official IRCC link: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/settle-setablir-eng.html

Also, based on reports here, they only issue a certain number of work permits per day and after that they turn people away.

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I see, thats why we want to check because its a very long drive to Coutts AB. Imagine driving down there only to be turned away.

Thanks
I would call Coutts to confirm what they are doing. No harm talking to them.

We've had reports of people here being at certain borders right at 8am but others were there before them and they had hit the cap for the day once it was their turn. So just be aware of that if you try.

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015
I guess I misunderstood the article Lol.
Link: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7222111

So the 12 border crossings have limited their time for Flagpoling. It doesnt mean that other Border crossings like Coutts that are not on the list wont do Flagpoling anymore.
Like what scylla said, I will call them once I got my questions ready just to clarify.

We are from Edmonton and it's like a 6 hour long drive one way. Is it more convenient and cheaper to just fly to BC and do it there?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I guess I misunderstood the article Lol.
Link: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7222111

So the 12 border crossings have limited their time for Flagpoling. It doesnt mean that other Border crossings like Coutts that are not on the list wont do Flagpoling anymore.
Like what scylla said, I will call them once I got my questions ready just to clarify.

We are from Edmonton and it's like a 6 hour long drive one way. Is it more convenient and cheaper to just fly to BC and do it there?

Thanks
Ah - interesting. Thanks for clarifying that.

Regardless of whether you fly or drive, I would plan to be there at least two days in case you have issues the first day and have to return early the second day. Just my two cents. Also be prepared that they might say he should wait for the application to be processed.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Coutts is a 24hr crossing and not on the CBSA list with restricted or limited services. That said, PGWP is probably not being offered at any crossings. Go on Christmas day, it's dead and they are just sitting there killing time so might just help you out. Lol

dimebag77

Aug 13, 2024
Hi there,

Now, my sister is in a panic saying that he needs to get the work permit before February 2025 or else he needs to go back home. (Edit, His TRV was extended for 1 year prior to submitting the Work Permit application online).

Spidermark
Knowing that your brother's application has been processing for 8 months, I feel relieved that mine has only been in process for 5 months so far. It seems we are in a similar situation, as I am also a TRV holder. I suggest waiting another month for the result before considering flagpoling, as there are uncertainties associated with it. I have read in another thread that some work permits have been approved after 8 months.

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015
Knowing that your brother's application has been processing for 8 months, I feel relieved that mine has only been in process for 5 months so far. It seems we are in a similar situation, as I am also a TRV holder. I suggest waiting another month for the result before considering flagpoling, as there are uncertainties associated with it. I have read in another thread that some work permits have been approved after 8 months.
He just got a medical request so I guess we're not flagpoling anymore.

You might get yours as well before the end of the year. Goodluck :)