+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work History - Express Entry

Jul 9, 2020
Hello,

Some context - I was in Canada for 8+ years, I did my university and film school there. And then freelanced a bit as well in Canada before moving to the UAE for foreign work experience.

So I’m applying through the Express Entry program and getting 457 points when I claim 1 year Canadian work experience and 2 years of Foreign experience. I don’t want to put my freelancing experience during and after film school which was on project and internship basis and plus proving it would be a hassle as I hadn’t registered my own company.

Furthermore, along with the first three work experiences I added my part time work experience from university as a student activities assistant because if I remove this latter experience my points drop to 409. All my Canadian experiences were 20 hours a week so basically part time but those hours cumulatively form a full time job for a year.

Work history that I've mentioned in my profile

1. 06/2018 to Present | Creative Manager | 0512 - Managers - Publishing, M.P., Broadcasting and Performing Arts | UAE (40+ hrs per week)
2. 01/2017 to 11/2017 | Digital Editor | 5225 Audio and Video Recording Technicians | Canada (20+ hrs per week)
3. 08/2015 to 12/2015 | Camera Operator | 5222 - Film and Video Camera Operator | Canada (20+ hrs per week)
4. 09/2011 to 04/2012 | Student Activities Assistant | 1241 - Administrative Assistants | Canada (20+ hrs per week)

Few questions -

1. Is it okay if I add my part-time work experience from university when I was on a study permit? The main conundrum in my head is that it is a work experience from all the way in 2011-2012 and is of a different NOC code. Please see work history above.
  2. Although one can connect the dots and see the progress in my career is in the same field, does having different NOC codes hinder my application being approved?
  3. Any advise in general is also appreciated.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
1. No, work done while a student in Canada can't be counted.
2. No, your NOC is relevant only for proving you have the minimum amount of skilled work experience.

Jul 9, 2020
Thank you for the prompt response.

But then why are my working hours are being counted towards my points. It showing 40 points for Canadian Work experience, I also mentioned in the application that I was a student and no work permit was required.

Jul 9, 2020
2. No, your NOC is relevant only for proving you have the minimum amount of skilled work experience.
Thank you for the prompt response.

But then why are my working hours are being counted towards my points. It showing 40 points for Canadian Work experience, I also mentioned in the application that I was a student and no work permit was required

Jul 9, 2020
Because you claimed Canadian work experience you don't have. It doesn't know better than what you tell it.
So I'm applying through Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) and below is what it says about the student work experience. Click the link to see as well. I was paid in wages and I've proof of the paystubs and I'll also be getting a letter from the employers after I receive the ITA. I like to know your expertise.. what do you think about this approach? Please let me know. Thanks a ton.

Link - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html#minimum

Student work experience
Work experience gained while you were studying may count towards your minimum requirements if the work:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
So I'm applying through Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) and below is what it says about the student work experience. Click the link to see as well. I was paid in wages and I've proof of the paystubs and I'll also be getting a letter from the employers after I receive the ITA. I like to know your expertise.. what do you think about this approach? Please let me know. Thanks a ton.

Link - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html#minimum

Student work experience
Work experience gained while you were studying may count towards your minimum requirements if the work:
Yes, if the work is done outside of Canada. Under no program can you count work done while a student in Canada.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Sure. Does it mention that on the CIC website?
Yes. You're referring to the minimum requirements to be eligible for the program, which are not the same as the grid used to calculate your CRS score.

While work experience as a student in Canada may be counted toward the minimum requirements for FSW if it was at least 1560 hours continuously over at least one year, you get no CRS points for Canadian work experience from it.

Furthermore, in your case you seem to already meet the minimum requirements from your current employment in the UAE, while none of your periods of work in Canada were at least one year in length. (If they were, you would have to apply through the CEC.)

You definitely have an unconventional case, but assuming your work in 2015 and 2017 in Canada was after graduation/on a PGWP, you may be able to combine those to get CRS points for one year of Canadian work experience, as work experience beyond that used to fulfil the minimum requirements does not need to be continuous or in the same NOC.

Sunitha208

May 22, 2022
Hi,
I have 3+ years work experience in an NOC, which I will be claiming points for. I had worked for 1 year in another NOC prior to this, will I need to mention this in my EE profile work history as well?