+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience Query

jiffyann007

Jan 11, 2018
Hello everyone,

First day on this group. I have a query regarding work experience.

I have 2 years of work experience. I worked 1 year at my uncles company and 1 year at my fathers company. These were both engineering positions. The catch is that I was not paid a formal salary in both these places. How will I present this information if I a get an ITA? Isnt it mandatory to to show pay stubs and account details?

Thank you in advance for your time

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hello everyone,

First day on this group. I have a query regarding work experience.

I have 2 years of work experience. I worked 1 year at my uncles company and 1 year at my fathers company. These were both engineering positions. The catch is that I was not paid a formal salary in both these places. How will I present this information if I a get an ITA? Isnt it mandatory to to show pay stubs and account details?

Thank you in advance for your time
Pay stubs and account details are not normal requirements for proof of work experience (the only required document is a reference letter from your employer confirming the details of your employment (including salary) and the nature of the work you did). However, given that you worked for relatives, it would certainly help your cause, if you have supplemental documents to legitimize the claims...

culty

Dec 14, 2017
I believe a reference letter( that meets the requirements of IRCC site) from both companies will suffice if you don't have the pay stubs...
while I was applying for mine, I did not provide any pay stubs but just the reference letter from my former employers and my PR got approved.
good luck

jiffyann007

Jan 11, 2018
I believe a reference letter( that meets the requirements of IRCC site) from both companies will suffice if you don't have the pay stubs...
while I was applying for mine, I did not provide any pay stubs but just the reference letter from my former employers and my PR got approved.
good luck
Thank you .. but i will not be able to include a salary amount in my reference letter. Would this not cause a confusion when a visa officer verifies?

jiffyann007

Jan 11, 2018
Pay stubs and account details are not normal requirements for proof of work experience (the only required document is a reference letter from your employer confirming the details of your employment (including salary) and the nature of the work you did). However, given that you worked for relatives, it would certainly help your cause, if you have supplemental documents to legitimize the claims...
Thank you for your response, what kind of supplemental documents can I provide to show the lack of salary?

culty

Dec 14, 2017
you might have to give further explanations in the LOE(letter of explanation) section, to try explaining why you worked for no official salary, and the kind of remuneration given during your stay in both companies. I think it many also be vital trying to proof the companies are actually owned by your family members as you stated. just my thought.

jiffyann007

Jan 11, 2018
you might have to give further explanations in the LOE(letter of explanation) section, to try explaining why you worked for no official salary, and the kind of remuneration given during your stay in both companies. I think it many also be vital trying to proof the companies are actually owned by your family members as you stated. just my thought.
Thank you so much, I guess I will be able to provide documents to show my relationship to them. But will it make my job look less formal since I was hired by relatives?

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Thank you for your response, what kind of supplemental documents can I provide to show the lack of salary?
I wouldn't phrase it as 'lack of salary'. Rather, you need to provide proof that you were paid (whether that's an invoice, or something along those lines) and your reference letter will need to outline how and when you were paid, and how much. The crucial thing is that you need to establish that the work you did was paid work.

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Thank you so much, I guess I will be able to provide documents to show my relationship to them. But will it make my job look less formal since I was hired by relatives?
I can't speak definitively on this but, in my opinion, yes, it could possibly make your job look "a little less formal" if you emphasize the fact that you were employed by relatives. It might give IRCC reason to think your relatives could be "exaggerating" the type of work you did, in order to support your application, whether it's true or not. You don't want to hide the fact that your employers were your relatives, but your focus should be on showing the legitimacy of the businesses in question and the legitimacy of the nature of your work (since that's really what IRCC cares about - that the type of work you did is what you claim it to be).