+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawing Spousal Sponsorship Application

halifax226

Mar 20, 2017
Hi

I am currently living and working in Canada with a work permit, pending PR approval for spousal sponsorship. I had just received an appointment for the finalization of the application and it all got too serious for my partner/sponsor. We decided to call it quits.

Now I understand I need to withdraw this application immediately. My question is: when I withdraw it, how long will I have before I need to leave the country? I understand I may need to send back my work permit to them, is that right?

I understand immigration may not give me any "buffer time" before I need to stop working and leave so I have already told my employer.

What do I need to do to withdraw? Shall I wait until the last moment to withdraw before I fly out of here or should I withdraw now?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
halifax226 said:
Hi

I am currently living and working in Canada with a work permit, pending PR approval for spousal sponsorship. I had just received an appointment for the finalization of the application and it all got too serious for my partner/sponsor. We decided to call it quits.

Now I understand I need to withdraw this application immediately. My question is: when I withdraw it, how long will I have before I need to leave the country? I understand I may need to send back my work permit to them, is that right?

I understand immigration may not give me any "buffer time" before I need to stop working and leave so I have already told my employer.

What do I need to do to withdraw? Shall I wait until the last moment to withdraw before I fly out of here or should I withdraw now?

If you have a valid work permit, you can continue to reside in Canada, and work until the permit expires. You should let CIC know you are withdrawing (or your partner is)as soon as possible.

halifax226

Mar 20, 2017
Thanks for the reply.

Since the work permit was given to me when I submitted the PR application (as a bridging permit) I was of the understanding that this would become invalid if the supporting PR application was removed?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
halifax226 said:
Thanks for the reply.

Since the work permit was given to me when I submitted the PR application (as a bridging permit) I was of the understanding that this would become invalid if the supporting PR application was removed?
Was it an Open Work Permit? Generally speaking, WP's are valid until the expiry date on the permit. Unless there is some special condition placed on the permit (which OWP's issued for inland sponsorship's, for example, do not have), it would continue to be valid until the permit's expiry. On the inland OWP's, there is a note that states "Pending FC approval", but that is a note, not a condition.

halifax226

Mar 20, 2017
Yeah, it's an open work permit and it does have that note on it that it's pending PR approval. I had initially been told that I would need to mail it back to the Visa office if I withdrew any application. I don't know why someone would have told me that?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
halifax226 said:
Yeah, it's an open work permit and it does have that note on it that it's pending PR approval. I had initially been told that I would need to mail it back to the Visa office if I withdrew any application. I don't know why someone would have told me that?
Let CIC tell you that. If you look at the Conditions, it probably says something about you cannot study or participate in the sex trade. The note is more of a justification as to why it was granted.

When you withdraw (or your partner does), I wouldn't bother mentioning it. They can see if they issued a permit or not. If they request you to stop working, then follow the request. But I am pretty certain it's still valid until it's expiry.