+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdraw application of citizenship

MKchris

Jun 8, 2023
I had a citizenship ceremony schedule last December, but I asked for a postponement for personal reasons, and they rescheduled for my Citizenship Orth Ceremony, it was yesterday. But I didn't participate and I sent an email to withdraw my application.

I was scared because my country doesn't allow dual citizenship until I'm 65, so if I get Canadian citizenship I have to give up my country's citizenship, which is the biggest reason why I revoked my Canadian citizenship. And my parents and all my family are in my country, if I visited my country or stayed for more than three months, and I need a visa for visiting my family.
I didn't consider this deeply when I applied. Right before the citizenship oath ceremony, I became afraid.
And I was hesitant to get citizenship because I have a plan to travel a month later, so I may still need PR card.

I received an e-mail from the Immigration Department today saying that I would send an application for withdrawal via e-mail.
I have to write a reason to withdraw, but I do not know how to write it.

1. Please give me some idea to write reasons

2 And I am worried about how it will affect my maintenance and renewal of my PR even if I withdraw my citizenship application, and I am worried that there will be disadvantages when I apply for citizenship again in the future.

3. If the withdrawal is rejected, what happens after?

Thank you°

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I had a citizenship ceremony schedule last December, but I asked for a postponement for personal reasons, and they rescheduled for my Citizenship Orth Ceremony, it was yesterday. But I didn't participate and I sent an email to withdraw my application.

I was scared because my country doesn't allow dual citizenship until I'm 65, so if I get Canadian citizenship I have to give up my country's citizenship, which is the biggest reason why I revoked my Canadian citizenship. And my parents and all my family are in my country, if I visited my country or stayed for more than three months, and I need a visa for visiting my family.
I didn't consider this deeply when I applied. Right before the citizenship oath ceremony, I became afraid.
And I was hesitant to get citizenship because I have a plan to travel a month later, so I may still need PR card.

I received an e-mail from the Immigration Department today saying that I would send an application for withdrawal via e-mail.

2 And I am worried about how it will affect my maintenance and renewal of my PR even if I withdraw my citizenship application, and I am worried that there will be disadvantages when I apply for citizenship again in the future.

Thank you°
No one can force you to take citizenship if you don't want it. The reason that you gave above seems to be a valid reason for withdrawal. Is travelling with a visa to meet your family a cumbersome process? PR if you meet the minimum residency requirement won't cause any issue.

Citizenship application in the future is something I am not sure about.

manav70

Apr 20, 2014

Thank you°
Hey I am in the same situation. Can you tell me what happened afterwards? Was the withdrawal accepted?

Reactions: markiv

Johnn smith

Jan 31, 2024
No one can force you to take citizenship if you don't want it. The reason that you gave above seems to be a valid reason for withdrawal. Is travelling with a visa to meet your family a cumbersome process? PR if you meet the minimum residency requirement won't cause any issue.

Citizenship application in the future is something I am not sure about.
Hey I am in the same situation. Can you tell me what happened afterwards? Was the withdrawal accepted?
Hello Everyone, After founding an error on my physical presence calculation which resulted me being short by 58 then I submitted a withdrawal request through Web form.

Question for you,…

When you do a withdrawal and reapply for citizenship. Do you have to do again citizenship test or can i mention in my new application that I have already done the test in my cancelled application?

Looking advice from someone who went through similar situation.

Thank you

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello Everyone, After founding an error on my physical presence calculation which resulted me being short by 58 then I submitted a withdrawal request through Web form.

Question for you,…

When you do a withdrawal and reapply for citizenship. Do you have to do again citizenship test or can i mention in my new application that I have already done the test in my cancelled application?

Looking advice from someone who went through similar situation.

Thank you
The process will start all over again. Nothing of the past will be valid for your new application.