+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

With regards the fee for applying extension of PGWP

Mia.J

Mar 16, 2017
This may be a dumb question, but I find the CIC website a little confusing. I can't contact CIC, and it seems like no one in the forum has the same question as I do.

It says "you do not need to pay" and there is an "If..."

So does this mean I do not need to pay for my extension application or do I not need to pay if I am in the "If" category?

I have to apply for extension because my passport is expiring soon, and the work permit will be less than my supposed length--3yrs. (I haven't applied for my WP yet but will soon, so wanted to be clear about all the info in case my application is to be sent back)

If I need to pay for the extension fee, is it going to be the same as my initial application fee--which is $255? Or a little less than that amount?

And can I apply for an extension right after I recieve my initial WP? Or do I have to wait till it almost expires?

I would really appreciated the help, thank you!!

Mia.J

Mar 16, 2017
I know this is a very unimportant question for you guys, but can anyone just tell me? Pleaseeeee!!!

paul234

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2017
Doc's Request.
03-05-17
Med's Request
03-05-17
Interview........
03-05-17
Passport Req..
...waiting...
Mia.J said:
Still no one??? QAQ
Probably because this is a vague topic for most people here. Haven't you tried talking to cust.care people? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/call.asp
Do you already have pgwp? If not, I'd say apply for new passport first. you can renew your passport one year before its expiry. I recall my friend doing that, and then applying for his pgwp. you have 90 days window to apply for pgwp, and for passport, the respective country consulate in canada should be able to expedite the process of issuing new one.

Mia.J

Mar 16, 2017
Thank you for the reply!!!
I did try calling them but they were never able to answer the phone. I don't have my WP yet but will be graduating this semester so I don't have time to renew my passport first, which is why I decided to just apply for an extension after I get my WP.
But the website seems confusing to me regarding the extension fee..

paul234

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2017
Doc's Request.
03-05-17
Med's Request
03-05-17
Interview........
03-05-17
Passport Req..
...waiting...
Mia.J said:
Thank you for the reply!!!
I did try calling them but they were never able to answer the phone. I don't have my WP yet but will be graduating this semester so I don't have time to renew my passport first, which is why I decided to just apply for an extension after I get my WP.
But the website seems confusing to me regarding the extension fee..
Try calling them early, like around 8am EST. (you also get to speak to someone who is in a good mood and answer you instead of sending you cic links) Else it gets too busy and they wont answer.
You have 90 days after graduating to apply for pgwp, which should be more than enough time to renew the passport.

Mia.J

Mar 16, 2017
paul234 said:
Try calling them early, like around 8am EST. (you also get to speak to someone who is in a good mood and answer you instead of sending you cic links) Else it gets too busy and they wont answer.
You have 90 days after graduating to apply for pgwp, which should be more than enough time to renew the passport.
Thank you for the reply!!
The reason I decided to go with WP extension is because it makes my anxious with the time in between passport renewing and the 90days rule. I would rather just take more time on the extension.
But I will go call them in the very morning tomorrow!
Thank you for your advice!