+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will renewing a PR Card matter if residency requirement is not met afterwards?

immi2grate

Aug 2, 2013
My father has been staying outside of Canada and is nearing the 730 days in the past five years. He plans to go to Canada to renew his PR Card. Once the PR Card is renewed will the residency requirement of 730 days still be in effect if he goes outside Canada?

If the PR card is valid, will he be questioned at the border whether he meets his 730 days obligation?

Just wanted to add that his Citizenship application is in process for more than 500 days and Oath ceremony hasn't been called yet. He is living with my mother who is a Canadian citizen.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My father has been staying outside of Canada and is nearing the 730 days in the past five years. He plans to go to Canada to renew his PR Card. Once the PR Card is renewed will the residency requirement of 730 days still be in effect if he goes outside Canada?

If the PR card is valid, will he be questioned at the border whether he meets his 730 days obligation?

Just wanted to add that his Citizenship application is in process for more than 500 days and Oath ceremony hasn't been called yet. He is living with my mother who is a Canadian citizen.
730 days staying out of Canada? He still needs to physically live in Canada for another 730 days in order to maintain his PR status.

Reactions: YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Note , I believe he is also required to remain compliant with the RO to complete citizenship. Not sire of mechanism but forewarned, etc.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
730 days staying out of Canada? He still needs to physically live in Canada for another 730 days in order to maintain his PR status.
Or to underline: pr card is not the PR status is not RO compliance. Even with a valid card one can be found not compliant and examined and reported for non compliance (potentially losing PR status).

Reactions: Ponga

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Once the PR card is renewed, the requirement of 730 days DO NOT get reset. He still needs to meet RO any time he interact with IRCC or CBSA (e.g. whenever he cross the border back to Canada) and it's 5 years rolling period of that day. NOTHING get reset.

btw. if he is living with his citizen wife, he may get his RO days but it depends on who accompany who to meet the requirement.

He may or may not be questioned at the border. No one knows.

And for citizenshop requirement, he needs to live in Canada physcially to qualify for citizenship. Days staying with citizen spouse DO NOT count toward citizenship days. Did he accumulate enough days when he applied 500 days ago?

immi2grate

Aug 2, 2013
Once the PR card is renewed, the requirement of 730 days DO NOT get reset. He still needs to meet RO any time he interact with IRCC or CBSA (e.g. whenever he cross the border back to Canada) and it's 5 years rolling period of that day. NOTHING get reset.

btw. if he is living with his citizen wife, he may get his RO days but it depends on who accompany who to meet the requirement.

He may or may not be questioned at the border. No one knows.

And for citizenshop requirement, he needs to live in Canada physcially to qualify for citizenship. Days staying with citizen spouse DO NOT count toward citizenship days. Did he accumulate enough days when he applied 500 days ago?
Thank you for the detailed response. For the who followed who for RO days... my mother and father left together in 2021 when both were PR residents only. In the meantime, my mother got a citizenship oath ceremony and she came to Canada to get her citizenship and then went back to the same house they have been living. Now, my father will travel to Canada to renew his PR card and then go back to my mother. Will this satisfy the who accompanied who for my father to get his PR days counted for keeping the PR requirements.

They plan to move back to Canada after liquidating the assets and will take around a year, in which period if my father's days abroad are not counted then his PR requirements of 730 days will not be met.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the detailed response. For the who followed who for RO days... my mother and father left together in 2021 when both were PR residents only. In the meantime, my mother got a citizenship oath ceremony and she came to Canada to get her citizenship and then went back to the same house they have been living. Now, my father will travel to Canada to renew his PR card and then go back to my mother. Will this satisfy the who accompanied who for my father to get his PR days counted for keeping the PR requirements.

They plan to move back to Canada after liquidating the assets and will take around a year, in which period if my father's days abroad are not counted then his PR requirements of 730 days will not be met.
How many days has your father lived in Canada since getting his PR? In the past 5 years if you don’t count the time since your mother received Canadian citizenship? There must have been a period of at least a year when your mother lived in Canada but your father did not if she has citizenship and he does not. Were they sponsored by their child and does the child still live in Canada?