+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my work experience count towards Express Entry Application if I hold a study permit?

zse0530

Oct 23, 2018
Hi,

I have a study permit for my masters program but I am deciding to quit and go straight to work. My study permit expires in 8 months. Will those 8 months of my work experience count towards Express Entry condition of 1 continuous work experience if I start working now? I will be working under my Post Graduate Work Permit that I got when I graduated from undergrad. My study permit does not come with Co-op work permit.

Summary
- I have both PGWP (after my undergrad) and study permit (was starting masters but I'm quitting)
- I will start working from January legally with PGWP, but I also hold study permit that expires in August
- Will that 8 months of work experience count when I apply for Express Entry after a year?
- Or would my work experience only count from when my study permit expires? (From September ~ 1 year)

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
If u can only hold one permit at a time. If u got pgwp and then apply again for study permit and after obtaining your pgwp becomes null and void.

After the issuance of study permit any work done would considered to be work done as an student

zse0530

Oct 23, 2018
If u can only hold one permit at a time. If u got pgwp and then apply again for study permit and after obtaining your pgwp becomes null and void.

After the issuance of study permit any work done would considered to be work done as an student
I confirmed that I can hold both permits at the same time. I got my PGWP first and I applied for study permit. Are you saying my PGWP will become null/void if I have study permit?

So according to you, any work done while holding a study permit it will count as 'work done as a student'?

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Yes once u got PGWP your study permit becomes null and void irrespective of the expiry date and the other way around. As a temporary resident u can only have one active status either as a student or worker. I once asked this question on Cic call center

But here is a catch, some people have worked during studies and applied based upon that experience and got invite as Fsw candidate and are now immigrants. I remember reading one such case on this forum.

Seniors would disagree with me but I am quoting based upon my reading

zse0530

Oct 23, 2018
Hi! I just (literally 2 minutes ago) called IRCC and talked to one of the representatives!

I confirmed that:
- As a temporary resident, I can hold both PGWP and study permit at the same time and none of those will expire due to the other one.
- Working using my PGWP is not a problem, even regardless of the existence of my study permit.
- 1 year of work experience from Jan 2019 to Dec 2019 will count towards my Express Entry application will count, while my study permit expires in August 2019. I'm not working as a student, I'm working under my valid work permit, so the experience counts.

If there is still some doubt, please point them out! I will call again tomorrow perhaps to double check with another representative. I will also follow up after my second call is someone wants me to double/triple check!

Thank you for all your help and knowledge!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! I just (literally 2 minutes ago) called IRCC and talked to one of the representatives!

I confirmed that:
- As a temporary resident, I can hold both PGWP and study permit at the same time and none of those will expire due to the other one.
- Working using my PGWP is not a problem, even regardless of the existence of my study permit.
- 1 year of work experience from Jan 2019 to Dec 2019 will count towards my Express Entry application will count, while my study permit expires in August 2019. I'm not working as a student, I'm working under my valid work permit, so the experience counts.

If there is still some doubt, please point them out! I will call again tomorrow perhaps to double check with another representative. I will also follow up after my second call is someone wants me to double/triple check!

Thank you for all your help and knowledge!
The IRCC reps are useless for all but the most basic questions and give out wrong answers on a regular basis. Don't trust anything they tell you.

Best option is to pay for a consult with a good immigration lawyer to confirm.

zse0530

Oct 23, 2018
Oh my god!!!! Really? I am so shocked, I trusted them!

Yes, perhaps I can get a single consulting session with an immigration lawyer. I guess I will start from online search to find a lawyer?