+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my application for PGWP get rejected?

ehsan3001

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
Toronto
Hi,

I am studying a master program in Concordia University and have hold a full-time status in every semester except in the summer 2018 when I took a leave of absence. Summer semester is not a mandatory semester in Concordia and it is considered as a regularly scheduled break. Anyway, on that time I went to the international office of Concordia and they told me to be able to work full time in the summer you need to take a leave of absence otherwise you have to work part-time and I took the leave and worked full-time the whole summer and then again I registered for the fall semester and I worked part-time. So I was a full-time student in the winter before summer and in the fall after the summer. Now I read the IRCC website and they say that student who took an authorized leave of absence may be eligible for PGWP but if you take a leave you should not work on or off campus during the leave. "You can’t work on or off campus during an authorized leave from your study program, even if your study permit says you’re allowed to work in Canada."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival/study-permit-conditions.html#s01.1

This statement made me anxious and I went to the international office and asked them again. They explained that for the summer 2018 that I took the leave I had to take the leave to work full time, but then the rule changed and student who want to work full time in the summer don't have to take a leave and they can work full time while registered in the summer semester. They also told me because summer is a regularly scheduled break I won't face a problem with IRCC in terms of PGWP. Now my question is : Are they telling me the truth? is their understanding of the rule is correct?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

RajdeepD

May 13, 2017
Hi,

Any updates on this? I am a master's student at JMSB and I am in the same boat as yours. My situation is exactly similar to the scenario which you had faced. I was not particularly worried about this since the ISO had always been spot on with their advising till date. But I would love to get an update from you in terms of anything which you might have found out since posting this comment. It would be great if you can revert back to me when you get a chance.

novel john

Oct 11, 2020
Hi,

I am studying a master program in Concordia University and have hold a full-time status in every semester except in the summer 2018 when I took a leave of absence. Summer semester is not a mandatory semester in Concordia and it is considered as a regularly scheduled break. Anyway, on that time I went to the international office of Concordia and they told me to be able to work full time in the summer you need to take a leave of absence otherwise you have to work part-time and I took the leave and worked full-time the whole summer and then again I registered for the fall semester and I worked part-time. So I was a full-time student in the winter before summer and in the fall after the summer. Now I read the IRCC website and they say that student who took an authorized leave of absence may be eligible for PGWP but if you take a leave you should not work on or off campus during the leave. "You can’t work on or off campus during an authorized leave from your study program, even if your study permit says you’re allowed to work in Canada."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival/study-permit-conditions.html#s01.1

This statement made me anxious and I went to the international office and asked them again. They explained that for the summer 2018 that I took the leave I had to take the leave to work full time, but then the rule changed and student who want to work full time in the summer don't have to take a leave and they can work full time while registered in the summer semester. They also told me because summer is a regularly scheduled break I won't face a problem with IRCC in terms of PGWP. Now my question is : Are they telling me the truth? is their understanding of the rule is correct?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Regards,
what is your status now ? did you get WP ? did you apply for PR ?

ehsan3001

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
Toronto
what is your status now ? did you get WP ? did you apply for PR ?
Hi, do you worry about others or you are in trouble?
Anyway, I got the PGWP with no problem. However, some of the students got rejected because of the same reason. They appealed for reconsideration and their appeals were accepted and they finally got theirs too.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:

ehsan3001

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
Toronto
Hi,

Any updates on this? I am a master's student at JMSB and I am in the same boat as yours. My situation is exactly similar to the scenario which you had faced. I was not particularly worried about this since the ISO had always been spot on with their advising till date. But I would love to get an update from you in terms of anything which you might have found out since posting this comment. It would be great if you can revert back to me when you get a chance.
Hey, sorry it’s a bit late to reply your post. I hope you have received your work permit with no issue.