+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

will i be able to sponser my husband

millergirl

Oct 24, 2006
hi guys and gals.

i just got married sept 6. and iam going to sponser my husband.or rather iam hoping to. problem is i dont have a full time job anymore and had to get socail assiatance because in april i was not able to work because i was almost paralysed and had to have emergency back surgery.and now that iam able to work,my boss said they no longer have my job.

i need my husband back with me,will i be allowed to sponser him, he is out of the country,and i know u have to have a certain income level.

iam looking for a job asap, but iam so scared immigration will refuse my sponsering him.

thanks,.

millergirl

Oct 24, 2006
oh yea just some more info that may help.

i am a born here citizen and do work part time evenings.

also how long could it take immigration to process and decide on our case once we submit his application.he is applying outside of canada.thnxs

cmk2

Oct 3, 2006
Based on what I have read in the sponsorship guide book, it says that you CANNOT sponsor if you are in receipt of social assistance other than disability. So if you were getting social assistance for disability,this means that this is not an issue. However, my feeling is that since you are not working,this will not be viewed positively against your application because basically sponsoring involves being able to support your sponsoree for 3 years financially and provide food,shelter,clothing,etc.. So,I am no Immigration expert but I would strongly suggest that you start finding a job quickly. Can your husband apply on his own? may be he might have a shot on his own.
As for the waiting period, it all depends where you are applying from..where is your husband? each Embassy in the applicable country where the application is being submitted its own time line...
hope that helps.

millergirl

Oct 24, 2006
hi thanks for your replies.
my husband is in jamaica.

i do have a part time job and am activily searching for full time.
the only reason i went on assistance was because of the surgery i could not work because of the back surgery.now that my short term disibilty insurence has come in , i have started paying assistence back for the months i was on it due to my disiblity.

i wonder if my time on it will be considered disability?

if my husband was to apply on his own it would approx 2 years weve heard.sigh.now iam really scared.