+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will 1 year certificate will work to get CEC?

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
Hi Guys,

I am currently a student in Victoria, BC. Was researching again for Immigration opportunities and I saw CEC, normally it is points based system for express entry but I think it is different in CEC requirement which is 1-year work experience in Canada.

So this is the reference I use, http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-experience-class.html.
I also check CIC to make sure and everything looks the same.

I currently enrolled in a 2 year diploma course but after 1 year I can already get my certificate and get my Post Graduate Work Visa.
After reading about CEC, I plan to do that. Since I am already a bachelor's graduate in my home country which I can show to prospective
employers.

So yeah I plan to get my PGWV after 1 year where I will get my certificate.
Will that work for CEC program or I still need the 2 year diploma just to be safe? (Since it needs at least one whole year)

Any thoughts?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Having one year of work experience in Canada doesn't guarantee you will be selected under CEC. How many points you have under express entry is very important. Have you calculated your points?

I would definitely complete the two year diploma so that you can qualify for a three year PGWP. There are plenty of international students with one year PGWPs don't manage to covert this to PR.

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
scylla said:
Having one year of work experience in Canada doesn't guarantee you will be selected under CEC. How many points you have under express entry is very important. Have you calculated your points?

I would definitely complete the two year diploma so that you can qualify for a three year PGWP. There are plenty of international students with one year PGWPs don't manage to covert this to PR.
Hi Scylla, thanks for replying fast.

Not sure what is my number I remember taking it and I got around 150-200 points. There is no explanation on the site (What average or minimum I need) so I did not really took much interest on it. Will try it again later.

If I finish my 2 year diploma I will get a 3 years PGWP? Isn't it only 2 years (Same time of education).

Also I have thought about not able to complete the 1 year on PGWP, will it not be easier to register for extended work permit?

I can rely on the work permit while waiting for my CEC, will that work?

Lastly one of the requirement specifies
• Have obtained at least one year of skilled, professional or technical work experience in Canada within 36 months of the application date;

So can I request for ITA after 8 months work considering I have 36 months to fulfill the 1 year work experience?

By the way I am not sure if it will matter but I am going to work in the IT / Technology Industry

Thank you, sorry for the loaded questions. I need to finalize my plan and trying to minimize the cost and take the better way on getting a PR

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
150-200 is very low. Are you sure that's right? Maybe that's because you don't have any work experience yet? So far only those with 450 or more points have selected and over the last number of months only those with more than 480 points have been selected.

Yes - a 2 year degree/diploma gives you a 3 year PGWP. Check the CIC web site.

Extending a PGWP is extremely difficult. You need a full time job offer and an approved LMIA from your employer. LMIAs are very difficult to obtain and most employers aren't willing to go through the process.

No - you can't request ITA after 8 months of work experience.

Based on your questions, you need to do a great deal more research about Canadian immigration in general and the study permit process.

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
scylla said:
150-200 is very low. Are you sure that's right? Maybe that's because you don't have any work experience yet? So far only those with 450 or more points have selected and over the last number of months only those with more than 480 points have been selected.

Yes - a 2 year degree/diploma gives you a 3 year PGWP. Check the CIC web site.

Extending a PGWP is extremely difficult. You need a full time job offer and an approved LMIA from your employer. LMIAs are very difficult to obtain and most employers aren't willing to go through the process.

No - you can't request ITA after 8 months of work experience.

Based on your questions, you need to do a great deal more research about Canadian immigration in general and the study permit process.
Just did a retest, I got 333. The Job is a big factor since I do not have any job experience in my home country.

Oh so my target is minimum at 480, and CEC is chosen every year right? I honestly have resesarch this more than a month, even before becoming a student (This is my goal) but they gave me vague expectations. Even the rep from embassy of Canada told me just study in Canada and it will all come to you (which I think this is a lot more complicated than coming to me)

Anyways enough with the excuses.

I double check about the PGWP, not sure but I found this
"A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program" - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp
I think the 3 years you're thinking about is the 4 years bachelors program since 3 years is the maximum for PGWP

Oh extension for work permit will be a bad idea? how about provincial nominee, just saw it again in the points calculator. Is it possible to get one if I work in the government sector perhaps?

Oh I see so I really need to get the 1 year at least work experience.

Just want to ask, I read somewhere (Not sure if CIC or here or other blog) but it says that once I applied for CEC I can still stay here in Canada and work while it is being process. Do you know if that is true?

Lastly so if ever the above statement is false, what is the usual path if I still continued my 1 year certificate program? (Let say even before graduating I have an arrange job offer and just will be waiting for PGWP)

Hey mate thanks again for answering all my questions, it's really different for those who got first hand experience on this.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You need to read all the links for PGWP in that your quote refers to qualification from a course less than 2 years where the PGWP may only match the course length. 2 years and over you may get upto 3 years PGWP. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

The CIC site agreed can be confusing and in some instance contradictory.

As scylla has said many people on a one year PGWP have problems completing one year Canadian experience given assumes you can get a job from day one of the permit, not an easy thing.

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
Bs65 said:
You need to read all the links for PGWP in that your quote refers to qualification from a course less than 2 years where the PGWP may only match the course length. 2 years and over you may get upto 3 years PGWP. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

The CIC site agreed can be confusing and in some instance contradictory.

As scylla has said many people on a one year PGWP have problems completing one year Canadian experience given assumes you can get a job from day one of the permit, not an easy thing.
Hi thanks for the link, yes honestly it's a lot confusing. One more reason I cannot really make up my mind.

So got it I will get a 3 years of PGWP if I finish my 2 year diploma course.

Will that be my only issue for the one year PGWP? Getting a job from day one?

Also I got confused in CIC, let say I do part time work. Will that be counted on my application?

Because there are links that said Part Time can be counted but 2 weeks == 1 week (Since 1 week is 20 hours max in a part time)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
justin777 said:
Will that be my only issue for the one year PGWP? Getting a job from day one?
No - that won't be your only issue. First of all, you will need to secure a job that is NOC A, B or 0 (so just any job won't qualify). Secondly, as mentioned earlier, you'll need to have enough points to be actually selected. There is no chance you will be selected with 333 points. You need to be aiming for 450+.

justin777 said:
Also I got confused in CIC, let say I do part time work. Will that be counted on my application?

Because there are links that said Part Time can be counted but 2 weeks == 1 week (Since 1 week is 20 hours max in a part time)
Yes - part time work can be counted provided it is in a NOC A, B or 0 occupation. However you cannot count work experience you obtained while studying (only work experience after your studies).

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
Oh I see, I think my line of work is in NOC A.
Will it matter if I am being paid? Since most part time in my line of work only wants job shadowing or volunteer work. Looks like I have no choice on that part but yeah.

Oh I see so I cant use my part time for my CEC application but I can use it for points in my Express entry got that.

Just want to clarify, if I do one year and finish my PGWP after one year. And I have minimum requirements for CEC like 450+ points and finish my job with NOC A. What will happend next? Since I no longer have a work permit, will I need to go back to my country while waiting for the CEC or can I still stay and work since I have an ongoing CEC?

By the way its not really stated but when I make a profile and put interest on ITA, would it be instant if I have the required categories or it will take time for them to consider my application?

I talk to my Program Chair a while ago, told me it is possible to have an internship designation.
Based on the CIC Website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=15.3

I can do an internship as long as it can't be more than the years of my study (1 year certificate, so 6 months)

When I am done with my internship and got my certificate, will my PGWP be 1 year and 6 months or just 1 year (Internship is not included)?

Thank you scylla for supporting, as much I want to finalize my options and you are a huge help for it

ibk

Star Member
Aug 1, 2015
Hello Guys

After applying ONIP, can I go back to my home country on vacation for three months?? As the immigration website says that I have to currently reside in Ontario?? I am a recently graduate student and have applied for work permit, Can I reenter into canada on my student visa which expires on July 2017 or Do I have to apply for Temporary resident visa???

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
ibk said:
Hello Guys

After applying ONIP, can I go back to my home country on vacation for three months?? As the immigration website says that I have to currently reside in Ontario?? I am a recently graduate student and have applied for work permit, Can I reenter into canada on my student visa which expires on July 2017 or Do I have to apply for Temporary resident visa???
I think it would be wiser to create a new thread so people who knows the answer to your problem can easily know you need it :)

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
justin777 said:
Hi Guys,

I am currently a student in Victoria, BC. Was researching again for Immigration opportunities and I saw CEC, normally it is points based system for express entry but I think it is different in CEC requirement which is 1-year work experience in Canada.

So this is the reference I use, http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-experience-class.html.
I also check CIC to make sure and everything looks the same.

I currently enrolled in a 2 year diploma course but after 1 year I can already get my certificate and get my Post Graduate Work Visa.
After reading about CEC, I plan to do that. Since I am already a bachelor's graduate in my home country which I can show to prospective
employers.

So yeah I plan to get my PGWV after 1 year where I will get my certificate.
Will that work for CEC program or I still need the 2 year diploma just to be safe? (Since it needs at least one whole year)

Any thoughts?
Quick answer: apply for PGWP after 2 year diploma
Get a NOC 0, A or B job ASAP
Learn more about CEC under EE. You won't have PR guaranteed
Check province nomination programs.

With only 1 year PGWP you could not get 1 year experience, you should stop working and perhaps leave Canada before apply por PR.... isn't worthy