+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife Pregnant - Any advice?

runningfree

Apr 3, 2012
Hi all. I have sponsored my wife for PR (outland app) and I have been approved as a sponsor - my wife's application has been "received". During our application process my wife became pregnant. I live abroad with her and my job contract ends this September so we'll be moving back to Canada before she will be approved for PR (her country of residence doesn't require any visa to enter Canada), but this means no health insurance. I'm fully prepared to pay whatever costs are necessary HOWEVER I was just wondering if there's any other options other than footing a 5-10,000 dollar hospital bill (more along the lines of speeding up the application process than getting a midwife :) ). Thanks!

PS will be living in Ontario.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Nope, there are no ways of "speeding" up this process, other than submitting everything that is needed when you initially submit your application. You pretty much will have to foot the bill for your medical expenses, as no insurance company is going to cover pregnancy.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
runningfree said:
Hi all. I have sponsored my wife for PR (outland app) and I have been approved as a sponsor - my wife's application has been "received". During our application process my wife became pregnant. I live abroad with her and my job contract ends this September so we'll be moving back to Canada before she will be approved for PR (her country of residence doesn't require any visa to enter Canada), but this means no health insurance. I'm fully prepared to pay whatever costs are necessary HOWEVER I was just wondering if there's any other options other than footing a 5-10,000 dollar hospital bill (more along the lines of speeding up the application process than getting a midwife :) ). Thanks!

PS will be living in Ontario.
Hi! Take a look at this thread where folks discussed being able to apply (with three month wait period) before being PRs. The folks in that thread can probably give you the best additional details on how/if it really worked out.

in_can

Star Member
May 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2012
AOR Received.
25-06-12
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Request
Sent already
Med's Done....
06-03-2012
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
13-07-12
VISA ISSUED...
30-08-12 (Started processing on ecas,Visa has same date)
LANDED..........
Soon...
I think that thread is for applicants living in Ontario and applying inland, and his wife is out side of Ontario at present.

PS-runningfree, let me know if you find any solution. :)

OhCanadiana said:
Hi! Take a look at this thread where folks discussed being able to apply (with three month wait period) before being PRs. The folks in that thread can probably give you the best additional details on how/if it really worked out.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
Get you name immediately on the wait list for a midwife. You don't need insurance for a midwife, but you will have to have a fully natural birth without medication or epidural. This means also that the pregnancy can't have complications.

Good luck. My wife and I almost had to go through this, but she miscarried the first time. Fortunately, by the time she was pregnant again she had medical insurance.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
in_can said:
I think that thread is for applicants living in Ontario and applying inland, and his wife is out side of Ontario at present.

PS-runningfree, let me know if you find any solution. :)
Yes, re Ontario - and the OP is intending to move to Ontario (from his PS at the bottom of his original post). BTW, not everyone on that thread is applying inland ;) I know that for inland applicants getting coverage after step 1 is straightforward but at least one outland applicant in that thread seems to have gotten the verbal go ahead from someone indicating the outland applicant was eligible (surprised me too!). I know this was being discussed in the thread I posted in addition to a few other posts and hence the suggestion for the OP to pop in there to see if in reality was possible.