+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who defines Full time study when applying for a pgwp?

M.awadalla

Feb 17, 2019
Hey guys!

I m starting a postgraduate diploma in memorial university (DLI) next fall sem.

According to university, the program is normally completed in 1 year full-time.

However, its a 15 credit hours course only and probably its arround 12 hours of instruction per week.

Now what confuses me is that the cic glossary defines full- time study as follows: Study schedule with a minimum number of hours (15 hours) of instruction per week during the academic year, including any period of training in the workplace that is part of the student’s studies.

But it also defines Full time study status as Full time study status is determined by your educational institution (school). It is usually based on the number of classroom hours per week.

So my question is: Would i be eligible to apply for a pgwp as the university considers it as a full time study? OR they would refuse it as its less than 15 hours per week?

Sorry if i made it a bit long ! Please help .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Full time status is determined by your course load not the hours in a classroom. Would consult your college or university but if you are completing a masters course in the normal time period you will be a full-time student.

M.awadalla

Feb 17, 2019
Thanks . Yes, but that "minimum 15 hours/week " is the definition of full-time study from ircc. I am not sure if it is used for pgwp or other cases.

You re right, the university determines full time status by course load and each course has a credit value. In my case, i have to take 2 courses/sem and according to uni, the 2 courses meets for lectures would be 12 hrs/week. This is full time for the uni but not sure if ircc will consider it same way.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Only 2 courses to be full-time? That seems too little. You need to review with your school. Perhaps there are extra labs, tutorials, etc. that are not on you calendar yet.

M.awadalla

Feb 17, 2019
Its a trisemester program with 6 courses in total (2 courses/sem) . I m not sure if this is common with "postgraduate diplomas". I am even in more doubt now whether the pgwp will work or not :l

Anyone here who had pg diploma !!? Help plz.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Its a trisemester program with 6 courses in total (2 courses/sem) . I m not sure if this is common with "postgraduate diplomas". I am even in more doubt now whether the pgwp will work or not :l

Anyone here who had pg diploma !!? Help plz.
You should be speaking to MUN.

M.awadalla

Feb 17, 2019
They only reply that many graduate students apply for pgwp. Nothing specific about this program. And they say for more info about eligibility check ircc website . Thats why i needed experts help here.

rahuln

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
I had the same problem some time before and asked MUN, they said that 3 courses per term is a normal course load for full time students in graduate school programs. So for you, 6 courses within 2 terms (8 months) will techinically make an academic year and you'll qualify for PGWP. But I'm not sure if that would be 8 months or a year.

M.awadalla

Feb 17, 2019
I had the same problem some time before and asked MUN, they said that 3 courses per term is a normal course load for full time students in graduate school programs. So for you, 6 courses within 2 terms (8 months) will techinically make an academic year and you'll qualify for PGWP. But I'm not sure if that would be 8 months or a year.
Its a postgraduate diploma in safety and risk engineering . And no, its a 1 yr program (3sem). The last reply i received from them is that at mun, full-time study is not determined by the number of course registrations or classroom hours and that this program is full time study.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
IRCC will make their own determination regardless of what MUN considers full time, so you can do 3/semester or risk it with 2/sem and hope the officer is in a good mood.

M.awadalla

Feb 17, 2019
I found some ppl here in the forum who received pgwp after this program, but that was in 2013. Not sure if ircc had the same "full time" rules in the past.

I hope a MUN student can comment here .
I know its a bit confusing but. Thanks guys!

rahuln

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
I found some ppl here in the forum who received pgwp after this program, but that was in 2013. Not sure if ircc had the same "full time" rules in the past.

I hope a MUN student can comment here .
I know its a bit confusing but. Thanks guys!
They told me that they will share sample course paths in May. So it'll be clear then. I've got into MASC env sys Engg and mgmt.. it's 8 courses plus two projects of 6 credit hours.. so 30 credit hours in total.. I also had a doubt wheather it's a 4 term program and what pgwp I'll be available for.. if you're going for fall maybe we can connect.. pm me

M.awadalla

Feb 17, 2019
Guys . Just to let u know . The university has confirmed that this program is eligible for pgwp. I hope they r right!