Sep 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2014
Hello, if anyone could offer any help or direction with my question is very much appreciated. :)
I will be in Canada on a visitor visa next year and I will apply for PR through family class. My common law partner is Canadian and will sponsor me (I am Australian). My question is which visa office do I need it processed through? Is it Sydney? I know I have to send it to Mississauga first, but do I write Sydney on the form? Generic form IMM 0008
Also does that mean that I have to go back to Australia for an interview or for any reason? I would prefer to stay in Canada if possible.
One other question, do I apply for extension of visitor visa at the same time I submit my PR application? Or do I do that after? It would be so much easier if Mississauga did the lot without having to have it processed, and having to possibly return to, Sydney. Would anybody know? If I get an extension first could I then just send it to the Miss office?
Any help in this regard is so very much appreciated. :)

nsr

Jan 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
AOR Received.
8-01-2012(Mississauga) 28-03-2012 (buffalo)
File Transfer...
26-01-2012
Med's Request
25-07-2013
Med's Done....
Sept 2011, 26 July,2013
Interview........
July 2013-passed
Passport Req..
21-08-2013, sent on 27-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06 september, 2013
LANDED..........
27 september, 2013
goldengoose said:
Hello, if anyone could offer any help or direction with my question is very much appreciated. :)
I will be in Canada on a visitor visa next year and I will apply for PR through family class. My common law partner is Canadian and will sponsor me (I am Australian). My question is which visa office do I need it processed through? Is it Sydney? I know I have to send it to Mississauga first, but do I write Sydney on the form? Generic form IMM 0008
Also does that mean that I have to go back to Australia for an interview or for any reason? I would prefer to stay in Canada if possible.
One other question, do I apply for extension of visitor visa at the same time I submit my PR application? Or do I do that after? It would be so much easier if Mississauga did the lot without having to have it processed, and having to possibly return to, Sydney. Would anybody know? If I get an extension first could I then just send it to the Miss office?
Any help in this regard is so very much appreciated. :)
Few options-

1. Outland process- Sydney, Australia in your case. It does not give you right to stay in Canada. You would have to apply for extension of visitor visa before expiry of the same. In case of interview, Yes you would have to travel to Sydney and your return to Canada may depend on the outcome of the interview. You get a right of appeal in this category in case of rejection and this process in faster as compare to Inland but you won't get any work permit.

2. Inland process- Vigreville, Alberta. This is little lengthy process takes from year and half to 2 years. In this case you will get work permit when your sponsor approves for sponsorship usually after 6-9 months from start. You Cannot leave Canada in this process for any reason until you are done. No right of appeal in Case of rejection. Interview will be in your local office in Canada.

3. NOT SURE about this. I think people can choose OTTAWA office too if they have stayed in Canada for certain amount of time. I beleive 1 year of legal stay in Canada required to choose this visa office.

goldengoose

Sep 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2014
Thank you so very much for that helpful information.
So do you know how long it takes to be able to work if you put Sydney as the office?
I would not work until I get a permit.

nsr

Jan 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
AOR Received.
8-01-2012(Mississauga) 28-03-2012 (buffalo)
File Transfer...
26-01-2012
Med's Request
25-07-2013
Med's Done....
Sept 2011, 26 July,2013
Interview........
July 2013-passed
Passport Req..
21-08-2013, sent on 27-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06 september, 2013
LANDED..........
27 september, 2013
goldengoose said:
Thank you so very much for that helpful information.
So do you know how long it takes to be able to work if you put Sydney as the office?
I would not work until I get a permit.
You are welcome.

You can't work, if you choose Sydney, until you officially land in canada as permanent residence. And that will take less than 1 month(in mississauga for stage 1) and 11 months( in Sydney for stage 2). So about a year. But these are the number it may take less or more depending on case to case.

You can work only if you find a canadian employer who can do LMO for you. This is completely different procedure and has nothing to do with spousal sponsorship application.

goldengoose

Sep 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2014
Well thank you so very much for all that helpful information - much obliged!! :)

Westie

Star Member
Jun 20, 2013
SK, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20/6/2013
AOR Received.
11/7/2013
File Transfer...
18/7/2013
Med's Done....
15/3/2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14/10/2013
LANDED..........
Already Here
Hi goldengoose

Here's a thread for applicants through the Sydney office with a spreadsheet for timelines

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-applications-through-sydney-australia-office-t46958.0.html

goldengoose

Sep 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2014
Thanks so much Westie. I think I'm going to apply to Vigreville as I don't want to have to fly back to Sydney. So many things to consider! I appreciate all of your help. :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
goldengoose said:
Thanks so much Westie. I think I'm going to apply to Vigreville as I don't want to have to fly back to Sydney. So many things to consider! I appreciate all of your help. :)
I advise you to apply outland through Sydney. It is pretty fast, averaging around 6-8 months for straightforward apps. Here's the direct link to the Sydney spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmVlTaJuxc5kdFlsVkRfVFVOTWtCYjVjdU9tR1o2aXc#gid=0

Provided you have no red flags (big age difference, criminal record, major religion and/or culture differences etc.) and solid evidence of your relationship, there is very little chance of you being called for an interview. Interviews are called when CIC suspects that the relationship isn't genuine and is only a means for the applicant to enter Canada.

goldengoose

Sep 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2014
Thanks so much for that helpful advice. I think I will take it! I will apply through Sydney as it seems so much quicker,
and we are completely genuine and can prove that. I am still confused about work though. Do they send you a visa at some point
so you can work? Or do you have to send in a separate application for an OWP?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
goldengoose said:
Thanks so much for that helpful advice. I think I will take it! I will apply through Sydney as it seems so much quicker,
and we are completely genuine and can prove that. I am still confused about work though. Do they send you a visa at some point
so you can work? Or do you have to send in a separate application for an OWP?
No, there is no work permit option with an outland app. You will be a visitor until you land as a PR.

goldengoose

Sep 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2014
Oh ok thank you so very much for all of your help and advice :)