+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When should I move to Canada ????... I've got my visa...for Jan intake..

alphasekhon

Sep 20, 2016
I just received my visa a few days ago in Sept and was planning to buy tickets for mid October so i could have ample time to find a suitable accommodation and get a few other basic things like setting up my bank accounts,getting driving license.... etc. and get used to the environment because i don't want to bother myself with these things during my course but my visa consultants have strictly advised me not to book a ticket any sooner than late November because they told me border security officers at POE might think its too early for Jan intake and I might be denied entry but i know some students who moved to Canada even 3-4 months before commencement of their courses....I am very very confused.....what should i do???.....should i wait till late november??....please help
Regards
alpha

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
alphasekhon said:
I just received my visa a few days ago in Sept and was planning to buy tickets for mid October so i could have ample time to find a suitable accommodation and get a few other basic things like setting up my bank accounts,getting driving license.... etc. and get used to the environment because i don't want to bother myself with these things during my course but my visa consultants have strictly advised me not to book a ticket any sooner than late November because they told me border security officers at POE might think its too early for Jan intake and I might be denied entry but i know some students who moved to Canada even 3-4 months before commencement of their courses....I am very very confused.....what should i do???.....should i wait till late november??....please help
Regards
alpha
Your agent is somewhat true. The POE officer will definitely ask you why you're trying to enter Canada so early when your school starts in Jan, 2017. Your answers (the ones you mentioned) may/ may not satisfy him. But it's unlikely that he will deny your entry.

A month or so before your school begins is usually good enough for int'l students. I don't know where you're coming from and where you're going to, bit I will try to brief little on general grounds:

Accommodation: Student housing where 3 - 6 students share a house isn't hard to find. Students don't impose many conditions except 1) distance to school 2) rent. A week or two should be enough to find such accommodation.
Banking: Takes a day to set up a new account.
Driving License: If you need driving lessons, it's better to come early, I agree on that. Also, you don't want to go for your road test in winter time. Do you plan to buy a car and drive to school? Insurance itself for a new+young driver would be pretty high, let alone parking fees, gas, maintenance etc. on top of it. In GTA, you're looking at $300+ for insurance only.
Weather: Sep-Oct is fall weather although we're still having a summer-alike weather in southern Ontario. The cold weather starts in Nov. Dec-Mar, you can call the winter season among which Jan-Feb is the worst. Yes, it's better to come in fall if you're attending school from winter term. But if you're not from a similar country like Canada, you won't cope to this extreme weather just by coming 2-3 months early. Believe me, it will take few years to adjust. But again, young blood adopt fast. :)

FYI, I came to Canada on Jan 3 and my classes began on Jan 7. I didn't have much trouble other than weather although I'm not recommending this.

Navu1218

Sep 17, 2016
Hi Alphasekhon when u got visa nd when u applied for visa application i also applied on sep 8 but till now i did nt get my visa pls tell me when u applied nd after how many days u got visa?

alphasekhon

Sep 20, 2016
Hi @Navu1218 i had applied for visa 26 aug and got conformation email on 15 aug.....so don't worry....u'll too receive ur email soon..

alphasekhon

Sep 20, 2016
Not sure about that coz it was new delhi when tracked on vfs website but it was dispatched from chandigarh visa office

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
alphasekhon said:
Regards
alpha
apart from questions being asked at POE u must be rich to spend money to stay in Canada for 2-3 months without doing anything. I mean u will need around $1000 a month roughly thats 3k for 3 months and u wont be able to work till ur classes start

almin

Aug 24, 2013
Hi alphasekhon,

would like to know from you what all financial documents you have shown for visa.

my case is that my uncle i.e my mother brother is ready to show financial documents and is ready to pay everything.

Your help would be appreciated.

anosh_b98

Sep 21, 2016
Please can you tell me which documents did you send the embassy to prove your financial ability? Did you pay for your tuition before applying for the study permit? Is it necessary to provide reference letters from our relatives if they will accomodate us? Please help me.