+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When should I leave Canada after working visa expire?

mancc

Sep 25, 2011
Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help me out here.

I had applied for CEC and I already got my medical check in Aug 12. Also, my working visa would be expired on Oct 6, I had done the LMO two months before but I got a refusal, so I applied LMO again at the end of Aug. I hadn't got a reply yet and I can't extend my visa at this time.

I read from the CIC website and it says that I have to leave Canada on or before expiry date, or you can stay for 30 days if you are extending the visa ( implied status). So in my case, do I have to leave Canada on or before Oct 6, or should I leave a month later?

AD85

Sep 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
08-08-2011
Med's Request
15-08-2011
Med's Done....
22-08-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2011
My situation is exactly the same, buti still havent heard from LMO if it is approved or not? :(
my work permit expires on oct 5,2011 and i have done my medical and it says on my application that they have received my medical
no one replied as yet to me what happens next? hopefully u will find out soon as well.

mancc

Sep 25, 2011
Hi AD85,

At least it showed your medical check is received, for mine, it didn't say anything, the status still shows IN PROGRESS. I donno if the medical check is received or not. And the important thing is when should I leave Canada...

flusty

Nov 6, 2010
mancc said:
Hi everyone,

I had applied for CEC and I already got my medical check in Aug 12. Also, my working visa would be expired on Oct 6, I had done the LMO two months before but I got a refusal, so I applied LMO again at the end of Aug. I hadn't got a reply yet and I can't extend my visa at this time.

I read from the CIC website and it says that I have to leave Canada on or before expiry date, or you can stay for 30 days if you are extending the visa ( implied status). So in my case, do I have to leave Canada on or before Oct 6, or should I leave a month later?
count the cost; I will say apply to change your status as a visitor and wait out your PR - you can't work... but you are not too far away from getting your PR I think

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mancc said:
Hi everyone,

If you have fixed whatever problem you had (or more accurately, your employer) with the first LMO application, and you have submitted a new application for an LMO, you can apply for a new work permit within the 2 weeks BEFORE the expiration of your work permit, even if you have not yet received a response on the LMO.

If you submit your application to extend your work permit before it expires, you will have at least 2 months of "implied status."

The thing is, if the work permit is refused, you will be instantly out of status. If that comes more than 3 months after your work permit expires, you will not be able to apply to restore status/change to visitor.

I can't tell from your original post where are you are in the application process - when did you submit your application?

mancc

Sep 25, 2011
I submitted in Feb 22, 2011. I checeked my status and it says they started to review at Aug 23, 2011, I've already done the body check, but it's been a month adn a half and seems they hadn't received yet... :(

bluewish

Oct 1, 2011
My recommendation is applying WP extension online while waiting for LMO (they have option for waiting for LMO) and then you will be on implied status. You are allowed to stay in Canada until the WP decision is made.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yes, apply to extend your work permit, with LMO application pending. you can and should do this, it will give you at least 2 more months on implied status (and a new work permit if your LMO is positive).