+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When does study permit expire?

Hussainkhan2019

Jul 7, 2019
Hi guys
I am graduating next month. My visa is valid till March 2020. After graduation I will apply for PGWP in September and hopefully will get it by November/December.

My question is when I am supposed to apply for visa extension? In case if I apply late for PGWP n it gets late what will happen to my visa?

Hassan7601

Jul 5, 2019
Hi guys
I am graduating next month. My visa is valid till March 2020. After graduation I will apply for PGWP in September and hopefully will get it by November/December.

My question is when I am supposed to apply for visa extension? In case if I apply late for PGWP n it gets late what will happen to my visa?

Study permit usually expires at the end of your studies. In your case, I am assuming that maybe you got your study permit extended some time due to which your graduation date and your study permit expiration date is different by a year almost. Your study permit will expire on the date mentioned on the permit. Now if you finish your studies before and apply for PGWP, your study permit stays valid because the Visa Office will only know once they have received your application for PGWP. You should try to apply right away and you don't need to apply for a visa extension as long as your TRV is valid. Because in no way you can reside in Canada without having a valid study permit or a valid TRV. One or the other at least has to be valid while your PGWP application is in progress. I hope this answers your question

Reactions: Hussainkhan2019

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Study permit will expire 90 days after receiving confirmation of graduation.

You have 180 days from graduation to apply for PGWP.

You dont need a study permit to apply for PGWP but you must switch to visitor status before it expires, however if you apply without one you cant work until you actually received the PGWP.

Very well explained here

Hussainkhan2019

Jul 7, 2019
Hi guys

Thanks dear. Actually I didn’t take summer break that’s why I am completing my program early and it’s not one year but few months earlier than the mentioned time I’m SP

Hussainkhan2019

Jul 7, 2019
Study permit will expire 90 days after receiving confirmation of graduation.

You have 180 days from graduation to apply for PGWP.

You dont need a study permit to apply for PGWP but you must switch to visitor status before it expires, however if you apply without one you cant work until you actually received the PGWP.

Very well explained here
Thanks a lot. That’s really helpful