+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What would be a good way to bring my girlfriend to Canada?

vicsmnt

Oct 14, 2023
Hello,
I'm in Canada on a Study Permit, I will be finishing my 2-year college program this academic year and I was planning to apply for a PGWP and staying here after doing that.
Me and my girlfriend are in a relationship for 5 years and I was wondering what would be the best way to bring her to Canada.

From my knowledge, we don't qualify as common-law partners, so coming from that - I imagined our best bet (if I want to help her get here) would be to either get married outside of country and apply for a Sponsorship, or for her to apply for Visitor Visa and then... get married here?

We're both students in our twenties, so sadly we don't have much budget to spend on travel or show as a strong tie to a country (for her), until I start working full time.
I understand that getting married and applying as a couple for a Study Permit and Work Permit simultaneously would've been best, but we somehow missed that.
I found the following post (https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/i-want-to-visit-my-boyfriend-in-canada.37724/post-249400) with advices and steps on applying for a Visitor Visa while in relationships, but 1) the reply is from 2010 so it may be somewhat outdated and 2) it underlines that people with intentions to reunite/get married in Canada are not really welcome.

What would be our best course of actions? Should she apply for a Visitor's visa as soon as I finish college (and before or after I apply for a PGWP)? Would it be wiser to get a Work Permit first or aim for a spouse Sponsorship? Please, tell me if there are there other ways and/or nuances I'm missing.

Thank you in advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
She can apply for a TRV and come visit. She will show that she has the funds, travel history, ties to home country etc. You can invite her. So you are planning on marrying? If so go get married. Spouse sponsorship is for PR but if you have PGWP, she may be eligible for an open work permit (not guaranteed).

Reactions: Buletruck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I'm in Canada on a Study Permit, I will be finishing my 2-year college program this academic year and I was planning to apply for a PGWP and staying here after doing that.
Me and my girlfriend are in a relationship for 5 years and I was wondering what would be the best way to bring her to Canada.

From my knowledge, we don't qualify as common-law partners, so coming from that - I imagined our best bet (if I want to help her get here) would be to either get married outside of country and apply for a Sponsorship, or for her to apply for Visitor Visa and then... get married here?

We're both students in our twenties, so sadly we don't have much budget to spend on travel or show as a strong tie to a country (for her), until I start working full time.
I understand that getting married and applying as a couple for a Study Permit and Work Permit simultaneously would've been best, but we somehow missed that.
I found the following post (https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/i-want-to-visit-my-boyfriend-in-canada.37724/post-249400) with advices and steps on applying for a Visitor Visa while in relationships, but 1) the reply is from 2010 so it may be somewhat outdated and 2) it underlines that people with intentions to reunite/get married in Canada are not really welcome.

What would be our best course of actions? Should she apply for a Visitor's visa as soon as I finish college (and before or after I apply for a PGWP)? Would it be wiser to get a Work Permit first or aim for a spouse Sponsorship? Please, tell me if there are there other ways and/or nuances I'm missing.

Thank you in advance!
What country is she from? IEC may be an option. It can get difficult to get a TRV as young person without much funds, job history, home ownership, good international travel history, etc. If you get married in your home country she may not be able to get a WP right away. People getting married and applying for WP right away while on SP or WPs are a way to commit immigration fraud so unless you have extensive proof of relationship especially in person it can be difficult to get a SP right after marriage.