+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What type of visa do I need for student internship?

shnoobii96

Apr 21, 2015
Hello. I will be a first year student Mount Holyoke college in the United States and I plan to do an internship in my second year. I was looking at internship opportunities in both the US and Canada and there were some that interested me in Canada – in areas such as finance and economic development. I plan to do an internship during the summer holidays so, it will be for a period of less than 6 months. Hence, I would like to know what type of visa will I need?

P.S: I have a study permit for a designated learning institution as I studied in the University of Toronto for the first semester in 2015. The study permit expires in 2017 when my passport expires. However, the issue is that I no longer go to UofT as I have decided to attend college in the US.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's most likely going to be next to impossible for you to qualify for an internship in Canada. You will need a work permit to take an internship. In order to get a work permit, you will need to find an employer in Canada willing to offer you and full time job. That employer will also need to obtain an approved LMIA (unless you are an American and your occupation qualifies under NAFTA). If your job requires an LMIA, then forget about trying to get an internship in Canada. The LMIA process is long an expensive (6+ months and well over a thousand dollars in costs to the employer). You most likely won't find an employer willing to go through the process - and even if you do, there's really no chance the LMIA will be approved.

If you are an American and your occupation qualifies under NAFTA - then there is some hope.

Your old Canadian study permit is no longer valid - it was automatically canceled 90 days after you stopped attending school in Canada (see the CIC web site for rules around student permit validity). Even if it was valid, it would be of no use for obtaining an internship.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just looked through your posting history. Looks like you're from Pakistan. That means you need both a job offer and approved LMIA to apply for a closed work permit. Forget about interning in Canada. It's not going to be possible. An LMIA isn't going to be approved so there's no point trying.

gunna

Apr 3, 2014
Hello dear

Pz help me

today i met some agenct, who told me that they can send me as agricuture/dairy worker without interview
processing time is 4 mnths, asking 5 lac to 9lac in indian rupeess
first they apply jst on my passport copy and when they get a approval from canada after one month, they get an agreement from them
they inform me to sign and then aper 4 months they get visa. this 100% sure work visa.

i am very confuse what i hv to do. no document they require for it jst passport copy and jst one pic .

May i take this risk,, they say they send us no itelts require, no any qualification docs require

Actually i have nanny certificate and itelts with 5.5 score, 5 months nanny experience. i have applied last year for lcp canada bt i ws get refused bx at that time was i was not completed itelts, so embassy refused me due to ielts.

Now m confuse bz hv no sponsorship so, what u say i hav to apply for general worker.

Appreciate ur quick response in advance

Regards

Raj

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gunna said:
Hello dear

Pz help me

today i met some agenct, who told me that they can send me as agricuture/dairy worker without interview
processing time is 4 mnths, asking 5 lac to 9lac in indian rupeess
first they apply jst on my passport copy and when they get a approval from canada after one month, they get an agreement from them
they inform me to sign and then aper 4 months they get visa. this 100% sure work visa.

i am very confuse what i hv to do. no document they require for it jst passport copy and jst one pic .

May i take this risk,, they say they send us no itelts require, no any qualification docs require

Actually i have nanny certificate and itelts with 5.5 score, 5 months nanny experience. i have applied last year for lcp canada bt i ws get refused bx at that time was i was not completed itelts, so embassy refused me due to ielts.

Now m confuse bz hv no sponsorship so, what u say i hav to apply for general worker.

Appreciate ur quick response in advance

Regards

Raj

Scam Scam Scam Scam

gunna

Apr 3, 2014
Hello Thanx PMM

Appriciate ur prompt reply, but i met this immigration agency in person. i went there with my known, who had already applied there and he is just waiting for his work visa as driver since 4 month. Someone told him that his visa is coming in first week of January. m also waiting for his visa.
He asked me to wait and when he will get his visa, he said then u will try for your visa there. That immigration is there from so many years and providing canada immigration services to people.
Only this thing making me confused that without ielts how anyone can move to canada. Bz i have listened that without ielts no one can enter into canada. in jst four months u can get work visa.

Some one other from Canada who is a freelancer in canada and austrlia immigration firm, he is asking me to pay him 15000 inr to registration there and he can help me in canada in finding a suitable job and he can provide me sponsor . Is this possible.

Pl guide me

Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
gunna said:
Hello Thanx PMM

Appriciate ur prompt reply, but i met this immigration agency in person. i went there with my known, who had already applied there and he is just waiting for his work visa as driver since 4 month. Someone told him that his visa is coming in first week of January. m also waiting for his visa.
He asked me to wait and when he will get his visa, he said then u will try for your visa there. That immigration is there from so many years and providing canada immigration services to people.
Only this thing making me confused that without ielts how anyone can move to canada. Bz i have listened that without ielts no one can enter into canada. in jst four months u can get work visa.

Some one other from Canada who is a freelancer in canada and austrlia immigration firm, he is asking me to pay him 15000 inr to registration there and he can help me in canada in finding a suitable job and he can provide me sponsor . Is this possible.

Pl guide me

Regards
As PMM explained, these are scams. If you give these people your money - you will not get a job in Canada or PR and you will never see your money again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi gunna, your inbox is full. If you want to get replies to your private messages, you have to keep it empty.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi
I would like to go for summer internship in 3 month of summer, which type of visa do i need to apply for?
You need a work permit. To qualify for a work permit your employer needs to give you a job offer and obtain an approved LMIA.