+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to say at the airport?

R

rosieposie

My Canadian fiance and I(American) will be getting married civily for the sole purpose of starting the immigration process, but won't marry in our Church for another year. Due to our beliefs, neither of us recognize the civil marriage as valid, won't be living together,I won't be changing my maiden name yet, won't consider eachother our spouse,etc. When we travel to and from the US and Canada should we tell customs at the airport we are married? I don't want them to refuse me entrance if I have to say I am going to visit my husband. Will Canada easily be able to find out we are civily married in the US? Can I just say visiting my fiance still or would that look bad if they find out we're married? I'm afraid they will turn me or him away for fear of staying illegally? Or will sufficient proof of my ties to the US be satisfactory(I can have my boss write a letter saying I am employed with him, US address, etc) Any advice? Thanks!

I

iarblue

Yes Canada and the US both can tell your married on their screen i travel back and forth and they knew when i divorced cause they asked fro the date once to make sure i didnt lie and all what you are saying here is pure fraud.

R

rosieposie

We are marrying civily so when we marry in the Church we can then live together and I can work there if I have been approved for PR

B

boyee6576

if your married civily your still married, you cant live together? Am I missing something? Married in a court or church your still married in Gods eyes. Are you saying you married for immigration purpose only?

I

iarblue

I think someone is just pulling a crock of sh__ here.Cause anybody that is true to themselves and their spouse would not even consider this and to think you can do this.Go ahead try the first time you get caught it will go on the immigration on both sides as both can acess eachothers info and you will be not allowed back in for any reason.And your sponsorship will never go through.

B

boyee6576

I think your absolutely right iarblue. This is why its hard for others who are honest.

BostonGirl

Star Member
May 9, 2010
Boston
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mabey they are Catholic and want to see eachother.

Still, this is NOT an acceptable way to go about this.
Get married, tell the truth, it is the right way.

I

iarblue

Well if they are true catholic then they know lying is not good at all i think they are just trying to stir everyone up here cause this is just crazy and to even ask on here is worse if you plan to be fraudulant you might not want to spread it over a immigration forum ????????????

R

rosieposie

BostonGirl said:
Mabey they are Catholic and want to see eachother.

Still, this is NOT an acceptable way to go about this.
Get married, tell the truth, it is the right way.
Ok that's what I thought was best to just say we are married but will we be able to easily travel back and forth to visit one another during the PR process? Has anyone had any problems visiting their spouse ?

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
Not judging - just a question - what belief doesn't recognize a civil marriage as a legal marriage?

I

iarblue

You will probably not be able to but some has all you can do is try and see if they let you in.No body here call tell what an officer is going to say to you or think of you at the booth when you arrive if you get a officer that had a bad day you may be going home if they are in a really good mood you mat still be going home,try your luck i guess.

R

rosieposie

heatherusa said:
Not judging - just a question - what belief doesn't recognize a civil marriage as a legal marriage?
[/quote
Catholicism

I

iarblue

And a court marriage is more recgonized than a church one anyway.

B

boyee6576

I have heard that some IO get suspicious if you have not changed your documents to your married name.