+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to do if my intended course of study is not related to what I studied?

blacknoir

Sep 22, 2020
Greetings Everyone,
I am currently a third year student studying Bachelor's in Hotel Management and I am about to finish the course next year. During my studies, the medical field has peaked my interest especially in the medical laboratory field and less so in the hospitality industry considering the crisis created by the pandemic. The hotel industry is completely in shambles in India.

Because of this, I am interested in pursuing my career in the medical laboratory field as a technologist. I took science with IP in my secondary school and enquired in NAIT in Alberta about the medical lab field but the course requires Maths in secondary school. Due to this, I am thinking of enrolling in a pre health science pathway course. But the issue is that, for attaining the student visa, the course I am pursuing should be related to the course I studied. This has put me in a dilemma and I have no idea what to do.

When I approached certain agencies regarding this, they told me that it was impossible and I should choose a course that is related to my field of study. But when I checked the posts related to this in this forum, I found that there are two options:

1. To write a strong SOP such that the visa officer is convinced.
2. Select a course related to my degree and then change when I come to Canada.

I would be very grateful if you guys could please suggest a way for me to solve this problem or if it is even possible to do so.

Thank you

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You need to explain why studying this new field in Canada will improve your job prospects in your home country. Why can't you study there?

Dreamer$04

Sep 23, 2020
Greetings Everyone,
I am currently a third year student studying Bachelor's in Hotel Management and I am about to finish the course next year. During my studies, the medical field has peaked my interest especially in the medical laboratory field and less so in the hospitality industry considering the crisis created by the pandemic. The hotel industry is completely in shambles in India.

Because of this, I am interested in pursuing my career in the medical laboratory field as a technologist. I took science with IP in my secondary school and enquired in NAIT in Alberta about the medical lab field but the course requires Maths in secondary school. Due to this, I am thinking of enrolling in a pre health science pathway course. But the issue is that, for attaining the student visa, the course I am pursuing should be related to the course I studied. This has put me in a dilemma and I have no idea what to do.

When I approached certain agencies regarding this, they told me that it was impossible and I should choose a course that is related to my field of study. But when I checked the posts related to this in this forum, I found that there are two options:

I would be very grateful if you guys could please suggest a way for me to solve this problem or if it is even possible to do so.

Thank you
Actually, I just have an opposite case where this year I have just completed my senior secondary education with the medical stream and now I am not interested in it so want to pursue a business management course in Canada.
so actually I also have the same doubt, that can I apply for the business management course in Canada.

I talked about the same situation with an agency and they said that it is totally possible.
So can anyone help me with the same and tell that can I pursue the course I want???????

Kingaos

Oct 29, 2019
Greetings Everyone,

Thank you
I would suggest sticking to a post grad in the hotel management field If you are staying to get PR. Then you may pursue the medical science after getting pr

blacknoir

Sep 22, 2020
Actually, I just have an opposite case where this year I have just completed my senior secondary education with the medical stream and now I am not interested in it so want to pursue a business management course in Canada.
so actually I also have the same doubt, that can I apply for the business management course in Canada.

I talked about the same situation with an agency and they said that it is totally possible.
So can anyone help me with the same and tell that can I pursue the course I want???????
I guess its easier for you to shift into the business programs as you can make a strong statement of purpose such as planning to start a clinic or getting into management in a hospital in your home country.

Dreamer$04

Sep 23, 2020
I guess its easier for you to shift into the business programs as you can make a strong statement of purpose such as planning to start a clinic or getting into management in a hospital in your home country.
Thank you for your reply..
but I want to ask one more thing that I have only completed my class 12th and don't have any professional training in medicine so how can I mention of managing a clinic
can you help me some more, please!!!!!!!!!

blacknoir

Sep 22, 2020
I would suggest sticking to a post grad in the hotel management field If you are staying to get PR. Then you may pursue the medical science after getting pr
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/change-of-field-of-study.604681/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/chango-of-program-please-advise.245442/

I browsed through these posts and several others. Majority of them shows positive results. Isn't it easier and more time saving if I choose to change the field of study after coming to canada?

blacknoir

Sep 22, 2020
Thank you for your reply..
but I want to ask one more thing that I have only completed my class 12th and don't have any professional training in medicine so how can I mention of managing a clinic
can you help me some more, please!!!!!!!!!
Oh ok, you should try to search for colleges or universities(i prefer universities) and check their courses as well as admission requirements and check if you are eligible for applying. For the SOP, make up your purpose whatever it may be such as helping fathers business or something of that sort.

Again, don't rely on my advice as I am also in pursuit as same as in your case. Take help from professionals and listen to what your gut tells you.

Reactions: Dreamer$04