+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What should the NOC code be for my Canadian EE profile?

CanadaLove112

Nov 5, 2023
I'm a PhD student in a Physics department in the USA. Prior to this, I completed my undergraduate studies in Physics and Mathematics (also at an American university). I have submitted an Express Entry profile for a permanent residency of Canada under the NOC code 41201 since I've either been a research assistant or a teaching assistant for the past 6 years (first 3 years were during my undergraduate studies and the next 3 were during my PhD).

Most of my duties involved programming with Python to analyze data collected by either particle physics detectors or from ground and space based telescopes. In addition, I wrote codes to analyze data that we collected in the lab itself and I've also been involved in various machine learning projects. Given this, is it acceptable for me to change my NOC code from 41201 to 21230, 21211, 21232 or 21231? These NOC codes seem to match with my job description, but also fall under the STEM occupations. Since STEM occupation draws usually have a lower CRS score cut off compared to the FSW draws (general program draws), my chances of getting an ITA will likely be higher. Is it acceptable for me to do this? Thank you!

Reactions: gesilicious

gesilicious

Dec 27, 2018
If you can get a reference letter to back up whatever NOC you think aligns with your job description, then by all means.

CanadaLove112

Nov 5, 2023
But wouldn't my job align more closely with 41201? In addition, I was a TA for 4 semesters in grad school and while I was conducting research during most of this time, I was getting paid to teach, not to do research.