+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What questions are asked in the COPR interview?

GFreeman

May 3, 2017
Hi all,
I'm an inland spousal sponsorship applicant, I've received my COPR and have my interview coming up soon!
I'd love to know from any one who's been through the COPR interview recently what it's like, and what questions they asked you?

I thought it would be a simple process (and I hope it is!), but I've been reading about officers throwing weird curve balls at this late stage. Eg. I read a story about a lady who got asked for proof that she and her husband live together. They had to run to a bank to get a statement for the officer.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
They are usually simple and about 3 questions long. If someone was asked for proof they live together it is likely because the Sponsor and Applicant didn't have identification that had that same address.

Your sponsor must attend your landing interview. Make sure he/she has ID (drivers licence/passport) or something that identifies his/her address as the same as your documents. I assume you have some sort of ID for here. If you do not, then bring something, a bill perhaps, with both of your names on it at your home address. Then you won't have to leave and return with that sort of thing.

GFreeman

May 3, 2017
They are usually simple and about 3 questions long. If someone was asked for proof they live together it is likely because the Sponsor and Applicant didn't have identification that had that same address.

Your sponsor must attend your landing interview. Make sure he/she has ID (drivers licence/passport) or something that identifies his/her address as the same as your documents. I assume you have some sort of ID for here. If you do not, then bring something, a bill perhaps, with both of your names on it at your home address. Then you won't have to leave and return with that sort of thing.
Well that's the thing, we currently live in different cities (but visit each other often and plan to live together soon). I'd hope the same explanation we gave in our application would be sufficient for the officer. I was just hoping to hear from people about how in-depth their particular interview was.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Well that's the thing, we currently live in different cities (but visit each other often and plan to live together soon). I'd hope the same explanation we gave in our application would be sufficient for the officer. I was just hoping to hear from people about how in-depth their particular interview was.
Did you submit an inland application?

One of the requirements of that application is that you 'live together in Canada' ...

If you submitted an outland application that you'll be fine

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I just noticed that you said you already have your COPR. If that is the case you actually filed an outland application and requested to land at an office instead of flagpoling. Is that more accurate of what you did?

GFreeman

May 3, 2017
Did you submit an inland application?

One of the requirements of that application is that you 'live together in Canada' ...

If you submitted an outland application that you'll be fine
Ah thank you, you're right- I submitted an Outland application. So we'd be OK with that question

GFreeman

May 3, 2017
I just noticed that you said you already have your COPR. If that is the case you actually filed an outland application and requested to land at an office instead of flagpoling. Is that more accurate of what you did?
I filled out a Outland application because we weren't sure for all of 2017 if I'd be allowed to stay in Canada. Turns out I was sponsored by my work just before my OWP expired and I was able to stay. But the uncertainty kept us from getting a lease together etc.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Then you'll be fine. You will be asked the same simple 3 questions that any other arriving PR would be. I forget the exact ones, but boils down to have you been arrested/convicted, are there any dependents not listed here..that kind of thing.

:D