+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What makes an interview required?

CanadaIsGreat

Dec 19, 2012
Hi,

Is there any rule when one is waved or asked to attend an interiew?
Any extra proofs we can attach to the application to get excempted and shorten the wait time?

Thanks!

CharlizeRai

Apr 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2012
AOR Received.
06-09-2012
File Transfer...
14-09-2012
Med's Done....
13-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED :)
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
6-02-2013
LANDED..........
APRIL 9 :)
There doesn't seem to be any one way to do things.

What I've been told is to ensure that you include evidence of quality, not of quantity. And for every piece of proof ensure there is an explanation of why you have included, or think it is important.

When putting together my application, I spent a lot of time looking through their processing manuals (OP something) to see what kind of things they are looking for. Then I made sure to talk about how our relationship showed those things.

CharlizeRai

Apr 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2012
AOR Received.
06-09-2012
File Transfer...
14-09-2012
Med's Done....
13-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED :)
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
6-02-2013
LANDED..........
APRIL 9 :)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/index.asp

The link :)

ldumitriu

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2013
AOR Received.
5-03-2013
Med's Done....
13-02-2013
I just looked through the manual you're talking about and I have a question.
At the end, in one of the appendices there is a chart of the whole process.

In this chart it says that if Sponsor does not meet eligibility, and he opted for withdrawal of application with all fees refunded minus the 75, there's no record kept, and no right of appeal. :eek:

If you opt to continue with the application, if the sponsor is not eligible, the application will be sent to VO and there will be mandatory refusal but WITH appeal rights.

I had originally chose to withdraw and get refunded, but now I don't know what to do. :(
I don't think I will be found inadmisible, however I don't want to burn my bridges if ever that happens.

Any advice???

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
ldumitriu said:
I just looked through the manual you're talking about and I have a question.
At the end, in one of the appendices there is a chart of the whole process.

In this chart it says that if Sponsor does not meet eligibility, and he opted for withdrawal of application with all fees refunded minus the 75, there's no record kept, and no right of appeal. :eek:

If you opt to continue with the application, if the sponsor is not eligible, the application will be sent to VO and there will be mandatory refusal but WITH appeal rights.

I had originally chose to withdraw and get refunded, but now I don't know what to do. :(
I don't think I will be found inadmisible, however I don't want to burn my bridges if ever that happens.

Any advice???
I think it is a wise choice. You should only choose the "go to the VO option and not withdraw" if you think that your sponsorship refusal could be overturned, or some of your circumstances would change.
If you get refused in stage 1, it's best to withdraw the application, work on whatever issue CIC pointed out, and re-apply again. It will save you time in the long run, instead of going to the second stage, then being denied, then waiting for appeal etc.
There are very few reasons to be refused in stage 1. If the sponsor has a clean criminal background, a plan on how to support the family, and a plan on returning to Canada ( if not leaving in Canada already), then it will be approved.
Good luck,
Sweden

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
CanadaIsGreat said:
Is there any rule when one is waved or asked to attend an interiew?
Thanks!
In general the VOs are instructed to waive an interview whenever possible. Interviews are only used when there is reason to believe the relationship is not genuine, or for fraudulent reasons only for immigration purposes. See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf 8. Procedure: Conducting interviews
Officers should interview applicants and their family members only when it is essential to assess an application. Waive interviews whenever possible.

Getting an interview or not will depend on how many "red flags" you have in your particular case. i.e. if there is a very quick timeline from first meeting your partner to applying for PR, a big age difference, no formal wedding (if married) or friends/family not included etc etc. Also it should be expected that applicants from countries where historical fraud rates are high, should have a greater chance for interview.

I had originally chose to withdraw and get refunded, but now I don't know what to do.
If the sponsor is found ineligible, there is really no point in continuing on with the application. In most cases to do so would be a big waste of money.

CIC even recommends the only situation you would choose to continue (if you have a humanitarian/compassionate case): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp
Note: Check “proceed with the application for permanent residence” if you submit an undertaking of assistance to support the permanent residence application of a family member or close relative on Humanitarian and compassionate considerations.

In practically all cases you can tell if a sponsor will be approved before you even apply. As long as they aren't on welfare or have a criminal record, there's no reason to think they will be denied. Only questionable situation is if sponsor is currently living abroad and will need to satisfy CIC that they intend to return to live in Canada.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Interviews are usually because the vo has doubts about the genuineness of the relationship. Provide lots of quality proof the relationship is genuine, and you will be less likely to get called for an interview. There's not much you can do if you have a lot of red flags, though.