+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the way to adopt in the future, while applying, to put the name of the person I will adopt in the future on the forms?

ROCIOLIVELY

Jul 26, 2024
What is the way to adopt, while I am applying, to put the name of the person I will adopt in the future on the forms?

Good afternoon, requesting your guidance.

I am the main applicant, my husband is my sponsor. We want to adopt my disabled 24-year-old brother as our son in the future.
What I understand is that first my residence papers must be issued, and then we must look for alternatives to bring him as a dependent, in this case, then proceed with the legal adoption.

Can I leave the name of the person I am going to adopt in the dependents section, even if he or she is not traveling with me? The adoption process would be after I get my residency paperwork, but can I leave his or her name or do I have to start a new residency process?

What is the procedure? Can I put his name as a dependent on the form, but only I apply and submit my papers? Then when my papers are issued, can I start with the adoption but the name of the adopter is already on the forms? Or should I do this process from scratch when my papers are issued?

I love my brother, he is like a 2-year-old child and is vulnerable, so I would like to know all the alternatives to be able to bring him with me in the future.

Thank you very much for your guidance. God bless.

Rocio Lively

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
What is the way to adopt, while I am applying, to put the name of the person I will adopt in the future on the forms?

I am the main applicant, my husband is my sponsor. We want to adopt my disabled 24-year-old brother as our son in the future.
What I understand is that first my residence papers must be issued, and then we must look for alternatives to bring him as a dependent, in this case, then proceed with the legal adoption.

Can I leave the name of the person I am going to adopt in the dependents section, even if he or she is not traveling with me? The adoption process would be after I get my residency paperwork, but can I leave his or her name or do I have to start a new residency process?

What is the procedure? Can I put his name as a dependent on the form, but only I apply and submit my papers? Then when my papers are issued, can I start with the adoption but the name of the adopter is already on the forms? Or should I do this process from scratch when my papers are issued?

I love my brother, he is like a 2-year-old child and is vulnerable, so I would like to know all the alternatives to be able to bring him with me in the future.

Rocio Lively
You cannot put something in the future in your application.

btw. I am not sure if you can adopt an adult. And if IRCC will see that a way as adoption for the convenience of immigration. Are you parents deceased?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Rocio Lively
This is not possible. Your brother is too old for the adoption to be recognized by Canada.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You could possibly adopt him in his home country but it will not be recognized in Canada nor allow you to sponsor him to come to Canada. He is too old to be adopted and recognized in Canada. You should be making plans for his care in your home country.

ROCIOLIVELY

Jul 26, 2024
You could possibly adopt him in his home country but it will not be recognized in Canada nor allow you to sponsor him to come to Canada. He is too old to be adopted and recognized in Canada. You should be making plans for his care in your home country.
He is too old because he has Down syndrome, a severe disability, his mental age is 2 years old, he is totally dependent, he is like a baby and I take care of him. In my country I could adopt him, why would Canada refuse to adopt him just because of his age or what other reasons?
Thank you very much again for your answer.

Last edited:

ROCIOLIVELY

Jul 26, 2024
You cannot put something in the future in your application.

btw. I am not sure if you can adopt an adult. And if IRCC will see that a way as adoption for the convenience of immigration. Are you parents deceased?
In my country, you can adopt your relatives (siblings, nephews, etc.) who are of adult age only because of severe disability. My parents are alive but they are already elderly and cannot take care of my brother and my mother tells me that she would allow me to adopt him, after I settle in Canada. The question is whether Canada would accept that I sponsor him because he would be my dependent? And if I can put him in the dependent section on the forms or still? Thank you very much again for your asnwer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He is too old because he has Down syndrome, a severe disability, his mental age is 2 years old, he is totally dependent, he is like a baby and I take care of him. In my country I could adopt him, why would Canada refuse to adopt him just because of his age or what other reasons?
Thank you very much again for your answer.
Yes, his age is the issue. He is too old. You would have needed to complete the adoption many years ago (before he turned 16). Canada will not recognize the adoption for immigration purposes because of his age.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

ROCIOLIVELY

Jul 26, 2024
Yes, his age is the issue. He is too old. You would have needed to complete the adoption many years ago (before he turned 16). Canada will not recognize the adoption for immigration purposes because of his age.
So adoption is only valid for children, not for disabilities. So what alternatives would there be for me to sponsor him? Thank you again for your guidance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So adoption is only valid for children, not for disabilities. So what alternatives would there be for me to sponsor him? Thank you again for your guidance.
Correct. Only valid for children.

Please read through previous responses you've received to your question. This has already been addressed. You would need to qualify and be selected to sponsor your parents for PR and then try to include your brother as a dependent in their sponsorship application.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Please read through previous responses you've received to your question. This has already been addressed. You would need to qualify and be selected to sponsor your parents for PR and then try to include your brother as a dependent in their sponsorship application.
And your parents as well as your brother need to pass the medicals and not be medically inadmissable (be a burden on the healthcare system) to Canada.

Even if brother was under 16, he is not orphaned so the adoption would not be recognized in Canada. The government views it as an adoption of convenience.

You need to have a plan in place for his care in his home country when you immigrate to Canada. He is not included nor will be in your PR application.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
In my country, you can adopt your relatives (siblings, nephews, etc.) who are of adult age only because of severe disability. My parents are alive but they are already elderly and cannot take care of my brother and my mother tells me that she would allow me to adopt him, after I settle in Canada. The question is whether Canada would accept that I sponsor him because he would be my dependent? And if I can put him in the dependent section on the forms or still? Thank you very much again for your asnwer.
You cannot adopt someone when the parents are still alive (regardless of age). You can arrange caregiver for him in the home country and provide financial support.
What you were attempting to do is adoption of convenience for immigration purpose. IRCC will not allow it.
Another option is to try to sponsor your parents under PGP and include your brother as their dependent. But all of them will need to pass medical to make sure that they will not be requiring excessive social and medical resources for Canada. If they do, they won't pass medical. For PGP, you need to meet minimum income requirement for size of the combined family (yours and the sponsored family) for 3 years before the application. And so far, no new interest to apply has been accepted since 2020. And it's a lottery to pick from the interested to sponsor pool every year since. (so the chance of entering and winning this lottery isn't high regardless of other issue you have to face)

ROCIOLIVELY

Jul 26, 2024
You cannot adopt someone when the parents are still alive (regardless of age). You can arrange caregiver for him in the home country and provide financial support.
What you were attempting to do is adoption of convenience for immigration purpose. IRCC will not allow it.
Another option is to try to sponsor your parents under PGP and include your brother as their dependent. But all of them will need to pass medical to make sure that they will not be requiring excessive social and medical resources for Canada. If they do, they won't pass medical. For PGP, you need to meet minimum income requirement for size of the combined family (yours and the sponsored family) for 3 years before the application. And so far, no new interest to apply has been accepted since 2020. And it's a lottery to pick from the interested to sponsor pool every year since. (so the chance of entering and winning this lottery isn't high regardless of other issue you have to face)
Thank you very much for your guidance and for broadening the picture. I was not aware of this, thank you very much because now I know what I should not do. Well, then the alternative is through my parents and if they pass the medical exam. Is this PGP requested when I am a resident in Canada or can my husband sponsor him? Is this a regular process or is it a lottery among residents to sponsor their parents or yes? Please excuse my ignorance, sometimes it is better to ask than to make mistakes. Thank you very much.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you very much for your guidance and for broadening the picture. I was not aware of this, thank you very much because now I know what I should not do. Well, then the alternative is through my parents and if they pass the medical exam. Is this PGP requested when I am a resident in Canada or can my husband sponsor him? Is this a regular process or is it a lottery among residents to sponsor their parents or yes? Please excuse my ignorance, sometimes it is better to ask than to make mistakes. Thank you very much.
You need to be the sponsor. BUT if you husband is willing to he can be the co-signer (so combined income will be considered) and sign up to provide for your parents and brother for the next 20 years. (after and if they are approved to become PRs)
AND NOT just your parents need to pass medical, your brother needs to pass medical as well. And as far as we can tell from the information given, it's unlikely that he will pass.

As others have suggested and I saw the I have also answered your previous post... you are asking similar questions again. It doesn't matter if you use the term caregiver, dependent or adopt to be your own, he is not part of your immigration application.

Reactions: Buletruck

ROCIOLIVELY

Jul 26, 2024

Thank you so much for clarifying my doubts, I have it clear now, I apologize, I'm new, I'm still learning. So I don't put anyone in the dependents section of my form, just my name as the person applying. Thank you so much for the answer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for clarifying my doubts, I have it clear now, I apologize, I'm new, I'm still learning. So I don't put anyone in the dependents section of my form, just my name as the person applying. Thank you so much for the answer.
Correct