+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the maximum time I can stay outside canada after receiving PR card and still move at a later date?

Jan 14, 2019
Hi Folks.

I received my PR card today ( Aug 15 2020) after soft landing in Feb 2020. My Medical exam was done in March 2019.
what is the maximum time I can stay outside Canada and still enter Canada on the PR card? I am in the US on H1B and was trying to max out the H1b validity before I move to Canada . Thanks in advance.

Regards.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You must meet the RO of 730 days (two years) of presence in Canada in any five year period to remain a PR. If you left Canada shortly after landing, then you must return by approximately February 2023 to accumulate two years of presence before your card is up for renewal in 2025.

However, you should not aim to cut it this closely, as the point of PR is to live in Canada. If you don't return until the last minute, the border officer may question why you have been absent from Canada and could report you if they believe you have not met the RO.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Cannot stress too much that whilst 2023 is some way away do not plan to leave it to the last minute to return to live in Canada given there is always the unexpected event such as COVID that could make returning difficult and so far CBSA/IRCC have not made any exceptions to anyone failing the RO due to any unexpected event such as COVID

Reactions: primaprime
Jan 14, 2019
You must meet the RO of 730 days (two years) of presence in Canada in any five year period to remain a PR. If you left Canada shortly after landing, then you must return by approximately February 2023 to accumulate two years of presence before your card is up for renewal in 2025.
Thanks for the response. does this mean the 5-year validity starts from my landing, i.e. is the same PR activation ?