+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens to spousal open work permit when the TFW spouse becomes PR?

Nocturno

Jun 5, 2016
Hello,

I have an odd case - I'm currently working in Canada and almost ready to submit my PR application, but my spouse is not accompanying. (There are reasons for this and it isn't marital breakdown).

My wife holds an open work permit, but up to now she's just been using it to visit me occasionally here as a de-facto tourist. We were hoping for her to visit again this summer.

Now, my understanding is that when I get a permanent resident visa, and exit and re-enter the country as a PR, my work permit would get cancelled and this in turn will cancel her work permit as well. Is this right?

The conundrum is, even if we wanted to we cannot probably ask for a tourist visa for her now, and if we are to wait until I receive a PR, the process cannot be completed in time.

Is there anything we could do to remedy this? Would me delaying the landing help?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Her work permit will remain valid until it expires.

Nocturno

Jun 5, 2016
That's awesome, scylla! Thanks!
Do you have any reference for this... ? Because I was searching in all CIC resources I could find, but to no avail.
Under what circumstances would a spousal open work permit be cancelled? I thought any cancellation of the "main" work permit triggers this, whether it is for being fired or moving on to permanent status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That's awesome, scylla! Thanks!
Do you have any reference for this... ? Because I was searching in all CIC resources I could find, but to no avail.
Under what circumstances would a spousal open work permit be cancelled? I thought any cancellation of the "main" work permit triggers this, whether it is for being fired or moving on to permanent status.
Her work permit remains valid until it expires or is formally revoked by IRCC, regardless of what happens to your permit. Formal revocation only happens in extreme cases such as criminal activity, fraud to obtain the permit etc.