+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens next?

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
Hello,

We courriered our PR application last Sunday. It's great to finally have it sent off. We our applying outland through the Buffalo office, so I know the applicaiton will later be sent there.

When can we first expect to hear about the application? I know in term of timing, it's hard to know, but I just wondered "what" the communication will be about. I read about AOR, but also approval of sponsporship. What happens first?

Thanks for your help!

Gemini13

Apr 24, 2009
Congrats for sending in your application! Now the hard time begins. Outlands probably take more time than Inlands and are quite different but lemme share what I've gone through/going through. It will be at least 6 months until you hear anything from them. Are you doing this through a lawyer? If so, then if they need anything, they'll contact you through your lawyer.

Also check you Ecas when you receive your client id #. It's a long, long wait and sometimes you'll feel like going insane (trust me, I know. I'm almost there) but don't worry, you're not alone.

I'm not sure what happens first but they will most probably send the sponsor and the applicant two separate letters saying whether you are eligible or not. If you are eligible, you will be able to apply for an Open work permit or a study permit. They will also send the applicant a letter requesting fingerprints and police clearance report. In the meantime, they will inform you that you can apply for Health card and a Social Insurance Number in order to work legally.

Good luck!

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
Thanks, Gemini13.

No, we haven't used a lawyer. So sounds like firts communication will provide us with client id # and we can then track it from there. When they send the client id #, will it be just to say they have received the application?

Gemini13

Apr 24, 2009
Yea, it will show "In Process". When you click on it, will show something like "We have received your application on ------". After that they'll keep updating. Call them up once in a while too because although the wait time is long, you can find things out sooner. We called them yesterday and found out that we need to send in the Police Clearance Report. That info still hasn't made it's way to the Ecas or our lawyer yet!

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
canbrit if you paid your fees online you can also use your receipt number from it starting with Rxxxxxxx and also outlands are processed generally faster than inland.. The current processing times for CPC-M :They are processing apps received up to April 27, 2009 length of time is 36 days .. Can be sooner than that.. Most take about 3 weeks... average.. If you didn't pay online than you will wait to get your Client ID# to check you ecas..
Best of luck!

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gemini13 said:
Congrats for sending in your application! Now the hard time begins. Outlands probably take more time than Inlands and are quite different but lemme share what I've gone through/going through. It will be at least 6 months until you hear anything from them. Are you doing this through a lawyer? If so, then if they need anything, they'll contact you through your lawyer.

Also check you Ecas when you receive your client id #. It's a long, long wait and sometimes you'll feel like going insane (trust me, I know. I'm almost there) but don't worry, you're not alone.

I'm not sure what happens first but they will most probably send the sponsor and the applicant two separate letters saying whether you are eligible or not. If you are eligible, you will be able to apply for an Open work permit or a study permit. They will also send the applicant a letter requesting fingerprints and police clearance report. In the meantime, they will inform you that you can apply for Health card and a Social Insurance Number in order to work legally.

Good luck!
I thought outland takes less time than inland?!

alishan

May 17, 2009
I think Gemini13 got it reversed.

Canbrit-
What Gemini13 describes is for the inland process. Since you're going through the outland route, there won't be open work permit or study permit, etc. for you. What Boncuk said is correct and that's generally what you can expect in the beginning of the application process. Within 3-5 weeks, you should hear from CPC-M regarding your sponsorship application. If it's approved then you should receive a letter from them stating that your sponsorship was approved and the PR application will now be sent and processed in Buffalo. I'm not 100% sure but I think Buffalo will send you an AOR letter confirming that they have received your PR application and that they will be processing it (not all the visa offices send out AORs but I think Buffalo does). Once the process at Buffalo begins, they may request additional information or documents from you. Also there's possibility that Buffalo may transfer your file to one of the regional offices (NY, Detroit, Seattle, LA) to avoid delay since Buffalo is very often overloaded.

Anytime during this process, probably within the next 2-3 weeks, you will be able to login to ECAS to check your status, as Boncuk said, if you paid the fee online and have the receipt number. If not, you need to wait until CPC-M first contact you regarding the sponsorship approval - this letter will have your (sponsor's) client ID number with which you'll be able to login to ECAS. Once your file is transferred to Buffalo for the PR application process, the AOR will indicate the applicant's Immigration File Number, with which you will be able to check your status on ECAS.

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
I didn't realize I could look it up with the receipt number. That's great!

I assume when it asks for name, date of birth etc.. this refers to the sponsor, not the immigrant?

I tried, but it isn't bringing anything back.

I guess perhaps it's not in process yet?

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
Yeah once it goes in process you will be able to log in with your receipt For me it was the second week after I sent for others its the third week or fourth.. just try to login starting at the 14 day mark from when they received it.. and yes its the sponsors details.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
canbrit - my own experience: I applied via Buffalo and the enitre process from the day I sent in application to the day I got my PR visa was 90 days. However, I couldn't not access my information on ecas for the first month. We got the sponorship approval after 30 days and soon after the AOR. Transferred application to Detroit office.

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
Hi GK,

We courriered the package to Mississauga and it was received May 26th. It should go to Buffalo after that.

90 days, wow! Hopefully mine goes through that quickly! I am not able to access on ecas, so good to know  you had a similar issue.