+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happen if you invite someone for a family visit and she applies as a refugee in canada ?!

Nazhm

May 22, 2019
Hello
I would liketo apply a visitor visa for my brother who is 32 . He has his own Real estate brokerage in Iran with 4 employee and also many real estate assets. He is not married but he has a fiancé and traveled to Europe 2 times with 2 different Schengen. He also take care of my mom. Its my sister in laws wedding in a July and i want him to come to the wedding with my mom.
He has no intention to stay here as his life is good in Iran but the problem is that, I applied for a family member in 2017 who came to Canada and became a refugee claimant as her situation was very bad in Iran and she couldn’t return. I promised the immigration she will go back but I couldn’t do anything about it.
Now the question is that Is it a good idea to apply for my brother?! or he will be rejected because of the situation happened last year with my sister and her son who are in Canada as a refugee claimant now ?!
Thank you

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You cannot be held responsible for people you invite for a visitor visa.

However, given that your brother will need to identify family members in Canada, and IRCC will be able to see that your earlier invited family member claimed refugee status, your brother's application may be refused because of what your sister and her son did.

Reactions: Nazhm

Pooria

Jul 23, 2018
@Nazhm Heyy,

My brother is Iran and is looking to seek asylum in Canada by moving out to Turkey or Armenia.

It's quite unsafe there and he can't go to school.

Can I know what the procedure is to apply to become a refugee from Iran or Armenia? And what difficulties, if any, did you or your family member experience experience?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@Nazhm Heyy,

My brother is Iran and is looking to seek asylum in Canada by moving out to Turkey or Armenia.

It's quite unsafe there and he can't go to school.

Can I know what the procedure is to apply to become a refugee from Iran or Armenia? And what difficulties, if any, did you or your family member experience experience?
Are you a Canadian PR or citizen? If so, then sponsoring him through the Group of Five program may be an option if you can find four other individuals willing to support his application financially.

The first step is for him to get to Turkey or Armenia (or another country) and to be recongized as a refugee by UNHCR there. Note that sponsorship through Group of Five takes 2-3 years to complete from the time the application is submitted.

You can find more info about this program here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/help-outside-canada/private-sponsorship-program/groups-five.html

Reactions: Arifulislam