+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What exactly are TIES

ms.tamara

Jun 7, 2011
So, I'm guessing I was refused my trv because of ties. Married for a year, no kids, no properties.

What exactly are deemed as "ties"? And how possible is it to secure a trv without these ties?

Is it just me, or I can't understand why there isn't an appeal system.

Leon? PMM?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ties can be:

- assets (bank accounts, etc.)
- property
- businesses
- employment (i.e. pay stubs, letter from empoyer granting leave and confirming return date)
- family left behind (i.e. you are going but your spouse, children are staying behind)
- lease agreement
- school (i.e. letter from a school stating that you will be resuming studies when you return on x date and are already enrolled in classes)
- evidence of past travel (especially to other countries requiring a visa)

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of for now...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To answer your question...

You need to show strong ties to prove that you plan to leave Canada once your visit is over and have no intentions to remain in Canada long term. Without strong ties, your chances of being approved for a TRV are low and there's really nothing you can do to compensate (apart from building stronger ties and trying again).

There are also things that can work against you (even if you have strong ties) such as:
- family already in Canada
- spouse is Canadian
- PR application in progress
- insufficient funds to cover trip
- over stayed on a previous visit to Canada or another country

ms.tamara

Jun 7, 2011
Thank you so much for your reply.

I really appreciate it.

One more question? ok two ;D

how would you know exactly how much money is enough? also one of the reasons given was "current employment condition" any idea what that means?

Thanks for your response.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You were going to stay for less than a month - right? If so, then I think $2K in spending money should be OK (above and beyond the money spent on the flights). This money should be yours (i.e. in your bank accounts).

For employment, my best guess is that you would want to provide pay stubs to prove that you are employed full time and a letter from your company confirming you are a full time employee, how long you have been working there and explaining that you have been given permission to take a short trip and will resume your work as soon as you return. Perhaps others can suggest what more you can provide.

ms.tamara

Jun 7, 2011
thanks so much Scylla.

the reasons given were:

1. I am not satisfied that you have sufficient funds, including income or assets, to carry out your stated purpose in going to Canada or to maintain yourself while in Canada and to effect your departure-

2. Current employment situation

Yes we were going for a 2weeks stay (sister's graduation) and we both had enough money in CAD. everybody else in the family got except us- mum, dad, uncles aunties.

i really don't have another reason to visit, but thanks for clearing up the air- if I do decide to go again at least i know what mistakes not to make

ms.tamara

Jun 7, 2011
One other thing...does that mean they don't encourage family vacations? because i see where you wrote:

family left behind (i.e. you are going but your spouse, children are staying behind)

How would a family take a vacation to Canada then?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's not that they don't encourage family vacations.

It's that you are unfortunately coming from a country where far too many "family vacations" in the past resulted in those families overstaying their visits to Canada and trying to remain in Canada permanently. As a result, Canada need to see sufficient proof from you to be sure you are really just planning a visit. Families certainly are granted visas together. However this would typically mean they have very strong ties in several other areas (i.e. many assets in home country, property, business, etc.).

The restrictions are in place because too many others in the past have abused the visit visa priviledge. So you are paying the price for what others have done in the past. I know this isn't a great answer and doesn't seem fair. But that's the reality.

If you decide to apply again - good luck!