+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What do we need to know re the 14-day quarantine for my husband's arrival at end of May?

halexhowellosuna

Mar 24, 2019
We have terrible timing, I know. So, backgrounder: husband got his COPR in February, long before life-as-we-know-it changed. Originally planned to move mid-summer, but plans got bumped up - he got laid off, so has been staying at home except for essentials and it will be a land border crossing. While I'm tempted to say let's wait and see if they lift restrictions by the end of May, I don't think the two week self-isolation is going to go away anytime soon.

What we need to know is a) what are the border guards expecting for our plan, b) is it just him or am I to be included in this, b.1) if I am to be included, do I need to prove anything, since I'm his sponsor, c) how can we make this as smooth and as pain-free as possible?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We have terrible timing, I know. So, backgrounder: husband got his COPR in February, long before life-as-we-know-it changed. Originally planned to move mid-summer, but plans got bumped up - he got laid off, so has been staying at home except for essentials and it will be a land border crossing. While I'm tempted to say let's wait and see if they lift restrictions by the end of May, I don't think the two week self-isolation is going to go away anytime soon.

What we need to know is a) what are the border guards expecting for our plan, b) is it just him or am I to be included in this, b.1) if I am to be included, do I need to prove anything, since I'm his sponsor, c) how can we make this as smooth and as pain-free as possible?
Needs to provide the address and phone # of where he is staying and agree that he can’t leave the house for 14 days and nobody else in the house can also leave for 14 days. He will be asked if there are any vulnerable people at home like elderly, very young children or someone with health issues.

Agree that 14 day quarantine will be around for a long time.

halexhowellosuna

Mar 24, 2019
Needs to provide the address and phone # of where he is staying and agree that he can’t leave the house for 14 days and nobody else in the house can also leave for 14 days. He will be asked if there are any vulnerable people at home like elderly, very young children or someone with health issues.

Agree that 14 day quarantine will be around for a long time.
:confused: So I do have stay at home too - if we decide that the best place would be at my apartment. Question is - which is worse, loss of income or having to pay to stay elsewhere?

Things to think about.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
:confused: So I do have stay at home too - if we decide that the best place would be at my apartment. Question is - which is worse, loss of income or having to pay to stay elsewhere?

Things to think about.
Your personal decision. If you make $1000 a day, its better to pay for a place I guess hahaha can't help you with this

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
I have similar question as OP. If I practice physical distancing and wear a mask once I pick up my wife from the airport. And, we will continue to practice physical distancing at home for 14 days.

She will sleep in a separate bedroom, only leave the room to go to the rest room. I will bring food to her door....Can I still go to work?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I have similar question as OP. If I practice physical distancing and wear a mask once I pick up my wife from the airport. And, we will continue to practice physical distancing at home for 14 days.

She will sleep in a separate bedroom, only leave the room to go to the rest room. I will bring food to her door....Can I still go to work?
Has to be totally separate, as if you had a basement suite in the house, no living in any shared part of the house, no shared bathroom, living room nor kitchen. If a basement suite you should leave the supplies at the door. Can't be the spouse using common areas of the house while you are at work. If you can't do that you will have to isolate together. Meaning neither of you leave the house. Can't go shopping, have to have everything delivered.

I could be wrong but that is my understanding of the rules at this time.

Reactions: CDNsoldier

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
Has to be totally separate, as if you had a basement suite in the house, no living in any shared part of the house, no shared bathroom, living room nor kitchen. If a basement suite you should leave the supplies at the door. Can't be the spouse using common areas of the house while you are at work. If you can't do that you will have to isolate together. Meaning neither of you leave the house. Can't go shopping, have to have everything delivered.
So if she lives out of her bedroom(only comes out for the restroom) and uses a separate bathroom, we should be fine? I will pick her up, but we will both wear a mask the whole time and she will sit in the back.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

I could be wrong but that is my understanding of the rules at this time.
That's how we did ours back a month ago. He stayed in the basement which is a totally seperated suite.
I left food in a tray at the door. I washed everything he finished using (and he washed the dishes already). I washed my hand every time I touched the door knob to access the door to the basement. Health authority called 3 times to check on him.
Oh... And I worked from home. So I rarely went out except grocery shopping once.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018

no, you don't have to do all these (keeping physical distance from your wife, it is not realistic anyways). But neither of you can go out of the house for 14 days and you have to stock enough groceries or do online shopping for groceries for 14 days.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
no, you don't have to do all these (keeping physical distance from your wife, it is not realistic anyways). But neither of you can go out of the house for 14 days and you have to stock enough groceries or do online shopping for groceries for 14 days.
He wants to go out to work. That's why he is asking if that kind of seperation is enough.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
So if she lives out of her bedroom(only comes out for the restroom) and uses a separate bathroom, we should be fine? I will pick her up, but we will both wear a mask the whole time and she will sit in the back.
I think that is allowed, she has to get to your place either via you, cab or other means apart from public transport like a bus. As you mention, yes, you should both be wearing masks during the travel.

Two weeks seems like a long time when you are so near each other but look beyond that, you will be free to do as you wish after.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No it is not enough. It would be bordeline if the bathroom was ensuite and she never left the room. Picking her up also creates an issue but I guess if you drove with the windows down and on opposite sides of the car it is feasible because if not you, it will be another driver.

Reactions: YVR123