+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What do I say to customs? - Getting married then applying inland.

cbd

Jan 21, 2015
My gf and I are engaged, and I've read that doesn't have any weight to the relationship, but we are going to get married soon after I get to Canada, then apply inland.

My question is what do I say to the guard when I cross the border? I would think that I would say my fiance is in Canada, and we're going to get married and then apply for inland PR.

I've seen other people say they're just visiting their gf and end up getting married, which I thought was illegal to do?

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
I don't think it's illegal as people elope everyday. However, it's always a good idea to make them aware that you are in a relationship, that way if and when you become engaged or married, they have a 'paper trail' so to speak. It establishes a relationship rather than making it look like you are engaged to someone you just met. Be as honest as you can, that's my advice. Just make it clear that you are 'visiting' while your PR is in process and not living or working there as it's not allowed.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
cbd said:
My gf and I are engaged, and I've read that doesn't have any weight to the relationship, but we are going to get married soon after I get to Canada, then apply inland.

My question is what do I say to the guard when I cross the border? I would think that I would say my fiance is in Canada, and we're going to get married and then apply for inland PR.

I've seen other people say they're just visiting their gf and end up getting married, which I thought was illegal to do?
I see you're from the US, so first advise is APPLY OUTLAND! An app through CPC-Ottawa could be completely done in around 6 months. Meanwhile an inland app will take 2+ years and cause risk each time you leave Canada. It's also very easy for a US citizen to extend their visitor status in Canada if needed to stay longer. Huge mistake for a US citizen to apply inland.

As for crossing the border, some CBSA officers may give you a hard time if you tell them you intend to marry your Canadian fiancee, apply for PR then stay in Canada forever with no intention to leave. People have been denied entry for that if unlucky enough to get a super strict officer. Your "intent" upon entering is that you need to be prepared to leave when your visitor status expires, so that's why it's good to have a return airplane ticket or some tie back to the US that would show you are not trying to stay in Canada forever. In most cases though US citizens get waved through with minimal questions, but some people like to prepare in case they go to secondary inspection.

You must also never lie to CBSA when they ask you questions. So if they ask if you have a gf in Canada, and if you intend to get married, you must answer "yes". Just make sure never to use the words "moving to" or "living in Canada", and act like a visitor. Make sure you stress that you intend to follow all the immigration rules, and will leave if your status expires.

And a big piece of advice, make sure not to enter Canada with tons of luggage or furniture that would indicate you are actually "moving" here and not just visiting. Pack as a visitor would pack. It's kind of a stupid game to play to act accordingly with CBSA, but then legally apply for PR and keep extending your visitor status here, but that is what people do.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
While you can't lie at the border under any circumstances, you are visiting your girlfriend, no matter whether you intend to get married during your visit or not. It's perfectly fine to decide to get married while you're on your visit. I would tell them that you're coming to Canada to get married unless they ask. I would also not tell them that you're coming for six months, because they will wonder if you ever intend to leave. Tell them you're coming for a shorter visit and they'll probably give you six months automatically. You can stay for as long as they give you, no matter what your intentions were when you crossed into Canada.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
All good so far. Just to add:

Why would it be illegal NOT to predict the future?!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
truesmile said:
Why would it be illegal NOT to predict the future?!
Ya in response to the question: "I've seen other people say they're just visiting their gf and end up getting married, which I thought was illegal to do?"... it's indeed impossible after the fact to prove intent.

So someone could very well be entering Canada with intent just to visit their gf, and after being admitted only then does their intent change and they decide to marry their gf and apply for PR. This is not illegal, since intent can indeed change, and there is absolutely no way to prove after you are already in Canada what the actual intent was at time of entry.

Where people run into trouble, is when they try to say they are just visiting their gf and have no intent to get married, but then CBSA does a search of their luggage and phone and finds things like wedding invitations, wedding dates, discussions with a wedding planner, or goodbye letters from friends back home! In this case the traveler has obviously lied to CBSA. This has actually happened many time on the Border Security tv show, and in most cases the CBSA officer will explain to the traveler it's not illegal to get married in Canada, that they just should have told the truth, and ultimately lets them in still. Although the officers in the show all seem pretty nice, if you get a super strict officer they would be totally in their right to deny you entry and give you a ban.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Rob_TO said:
Where people run into trouble, is when they try to say they are just visiting their gf and have no intent to get married, but then CBSA does a search of their luggage and phone and finds things like wedding invitations, wedding dates, discussions with a wedding planner, or goodbye letters from friends back home! In this case the traveler has obviously lied to CBSA. This has actually happened many time on the Border Security tv show, and in most cases the CBSA officer will explain to the traveler it's not illegal to get married in Canada, that they just should have told the truth, and ultimately lets them in still. Although the officers in the show all seem pretty nice, if you get a super strict officer they would be totally in their right to deny you entry and give you a ban.
Yeah I remember that episode! I'm sure they are nice on the show because they know they are being filmed. You can't expect to get that kind of nice officer normally!

The key thing is never lie. It is one thing to not volunteer information. But it is completely different to flat out say something false.