+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the Options after 1 Yr. Study and 1. Yr. Work Permit in CANADA - Share

Mpadhya

Star Member
Dec 18, 2009
Hi All,

There are many guys who have studied in Canada and have obtained Post Graduation Work Permit also but are confused as what to do next....???

I am opening this thread for all the people who have had some understanding about getting their stay extended in Canada (On Shore)

Shall we all discuss about what opportunities are available in Canada when the Post Graduation Work Permit is expiring...???

Let's Share :) :) :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have 67 points or more on self assessment and at least one year of continuous skilled work experience at some point somewhere, you would be able to apply under FSW category 3.

You can not apply under CEC with one year studies and one year work.

You can not apply under PNP when your work permit is just about to expire. If you have enough left on your work permit, you can try it and if you get nominated before your permit expires, they may lift the requirement for you to need an LMO to get a new work permit. This would allow you to stay and work in Canada while you wait for your PR.

You could also ask your employer to try for an LMO so you could apply for a regular work permit. Then you could apply through PNP later or wait until you have 2 years skilled work and apply under CEC.

If your permit expires and you can't renew and end up having to go home, you could also ask your employer for an AEO and to apply for you under PNP.

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
Dear Leon,

I arrived in Canada on a PG student permit with 14 months of experience gained at two companies. I worked for 4 months with company "A" till 28 August and started with company "B" the next day that is on 29 August and worked for 10 months before coming to Canada. Is it considered one year contious experience or not?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon,

You mentioned about getting nominated before the expiry of the Work permit......

My question is- How to get nominated? Is it only possible under the PNP program?

Mitali

Leon said:
You can not apply under PNP when your work permit is just about to expire. If you have enough left on your work permit, you can try it and if you get nominated before your permit expires, they may lift the requirement for you to need an LMO to get a new work permit. This would allow you to stay and work in Canada while you wait for your PR.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to look into the PNP of your province to see if you have other options. Most of the PNP's have an employer driven stream where an employer can nominate a worker on a work permit or even a worker who is still outside of Canada by using an AEO or job offer. Some of the PNP's have a family stream, some have a graduate class, some have investor classes. The rules and requirements all depend on the province.

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
Hello

I have studied in Canada for almost 2 yrs and have worked in Canada for almost 4 1/2 yrs.... on PG and regular (LMO) work permit (now working as a foreign worker) I have recently applied for FSW3 and have gotten both my AORs from Nova Scotia and Buffalo... however my workpermit will be expiring Jan 10, 2011 and I don't know how long Buffalo will take to process my application so I don't know if I should extend my LMO to renew my work permit or if I can just change my status to visitor status while I wait for Buffalo to reply? Or can if I get another job will that affect my application in Buffalo...

so confusing...!!

Regards,

Becksterd

disco1004

Star Member
Nov 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2009
Doc's Request.
18-02-2010
AOR Received.
02-11-2010
File Transfer...
05-10-2011 to Seattle
Med's Request
19-12-2011
Med's Done....
05-01-2012/ Delievered Ottawa 16-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-02-2012 / passport received by Seattle 15-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2012 / Fedex
LANDED..........
soon!
Just sharing expereinces for international students preparing PR application in Canada.

My friend is applying under PNP program and I am applying as Federal Skilled worker with AEO .

Similar at the end, but the beginning of the application is quite different. You need approval from different authoroties.

We are both in Vancouver, BC. We have been students here for 3-4 years, seen alot of cases..
I was going to get Post graduate permit and then apply for immigration with expereince and stuff...but last year I was refused to get that visa and I was panicing, decided to make more 'strong' application for PR rather than reply on post graduate work permit.

if you don't get the maximum amount of post graduate work permit period that you are expecting ( this happend last year due to economy, shorter time or even refusal.. they didnt want to issue too much work permits which makes sense), than you need work in temprary jobs for a while and go back to your country at the end. may not be qualified for CEC or FSW3.. you never know. I would not rely on it again.

We, foreigners have not much of right to argue with Immigration canada, but if you have your Canadian employer on your side, it is a different story. The government is working for them, not for us.

Most of the friends, who went to school together, The sooner getting employer, the sooner getting PR. The sooner you gets PR, the sooner you can settle down with bettter job opportunities, whole lot of free programs, even morgage rate will be cheaper.

I would recommed to find a employer who can support you to immigrate ,
as soon as you come to Canada, stadt searching. if you are decided to immigrate at the end anyway.

Dont waste your time. there are so many steps you need to make to immigrate, just start to apply for jobs and network with people, do upaid intern, volunteer.....whatever it takes. that is the way saving money and time.

You can do CEC but then you need study and work as temporary visa holder and then apply and then the process starts....should be ready to waste 4-5 years..as a foreigner here.

you can still study and work with Post graduate visa while you already on your PR process if you find empoyer..dont wate time. Being in Canada as 'non immigrated yet' means you will be undervalued. Some employers take advantage of these unstable status. I've seen friends working overtime while the emplyer doenst pay overtime because he/she wanted the employer agree to support immigration.

Anyways, there are two steps I know, with good chance to get PR within 1 year or so.

PNP : need to apply to each Province government => approval ( you will get work permit as well) => apply initially for PR to Nova Scotia as PNP nominee => 1st AOR => full doc to your visa office

LMO or AEO : appy to HRSDC => approval ( you will get work permit if you got LMO approved, AEO is only for additional points in immigration ) => apply initially for PR to Nova Scotia as a federal skilled worker =>1st AOR => full doc to your visa office..

My friend got PPR after 6 month since she sent out full documents to Buffalo.
She got 1 year work permit when she was approved by BC government as PNP. So she makes money while PR processing going on also attending part time study for the future.
it took her less than a year for whole process even though she was with a really stupid consultant. (lol)

Mine is on the left side. I am half way through now, Hope this will help.

-Disco

Mpadhya

Star Member
Dec 18, 2009
What a contribution Disco...!!!

Bravo...

Let's all share and help the newbessssssss

Regards and best wishes to ALL

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, we can discuss the merits of different applications here.

CEC is the fastest by far and there is no points system getting in the way. However, you do need to qualify for CEC first which is either 2 years skilled work or 2 years studies and one year work.

FSW3 should be open to anybody who is in Canada for a year either as a worker or a student but you do need 67 points and you do need at least a 1 year skilled continuous work experience.

In order to apply through a PNP, you need to qualify under one of their programs. Some PNP's have graduate classes where if you graduated in the province and have a job offer or in some cases you must have worked for 6 months, you can apply. If you are applying under PNP as a worker in Canada, you generally need to be on a work permit and employers most definitely tend to abuse that. Many will hold the PNP in front of their employers like a carrot, make them wait to get sponsored, use it to force overtime etc. If you manage to get a job offer without being in Canada, you can go for either PNP or FSW2.

sunshy

Star Member
Mar 15, 2010
Can a 14 months MASc ( 4 semesters) degree be counted as 2 years study? There is a note at the bottom of one of the experience class webpages :

Definitions
•Full-time studies – To be eligible, you must have been considered “full-time” at your school.
•Two years of study – At least 16 months—or four semesters—within the 24 months before completing a full-time post-secondary program of study in Canada.

Can someone explain?

rajas

Jul 24, 2010
Is it advisable to study PG Diploma in Canada to get PR?

Hi All,

I am planning to apply for Canadian PR. But I do not have recent work experience as I lost my job by 2009 March. As per a consultant's advise regarding getting PR, I am now planning to do a PG Diploma (Wireless Networking) in a private college, Toronot, ON for this September intake. Will I be able to survice and successfully get PR after my one year course completion in Canada?

My Details are:
Education : MCA
Experience : 7 years (in Application development - C/C++, Linux, Telecom, Networking, )
IELTS (Apr 2010) : Listening 8.5, Reading 6.5, Writting 6.5, Speaking 8, Overall 7.5 (in General Training).
Current Location : India (No abroad experience)

* Please provide me some information regarding IT job market in Toronto and job opportunities for my profile.
* Can I work in full time in my vacations after Feb 2011 ( I read that a student cannot work for the first 6 months of course ) ?
* Will this be counted as work experience when applying for PR ?
* Is it be possible for my profile to take a job of Type O, A or B after the course?

I am puzzled about my situation after compeltion of course and one year work visa. I don't know whether taking this educational route to get PR is good or bad. Please provide me some advise to take a decission.

Thannks in advance.
Rajas