+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the advantages of open work permit over other work permit types?

saleemjosh

Star Member
May 5, 2009
Can any one provide/tell information about the advantages of open work permit over other work permit types?
Thank you in advance for you help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

saleemjosh said:
Can any one provide/tell information about the advantages of open work permit over other work permit types?
Thank you in advance for you help.
You can work for whomever you want.

applied4PR

Star Member
Jul 28, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

You can work for whomever you want.
Can one start their own business on an open work permit and then apply for PR under Canada experience class?

Can one apply for Provincial nominee program on an OWP (without a job offer or experience)?

Can one use an existing OWP (without a job offer) to apply for skilled migration?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

applied4PR said:
Can one start their own business on an open work permit and then apply for PR under Canada experience class?

Can one apply for Provincial nominee program on an OWP (without a job offer or experience)?

Can one use an existing OWP (without a job offer) to apply for skilled migration?
1. No

You need to meet these requirements to apply under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:

plan to live outside the province of Quebec
have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization
meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening).

2. Only if you qualify that Province's PNP
3. No unless you qualify for CEC or FSW. You need an employer to qualify for FSW2 (permanent job offer)

saleemjosh

Star Member
May 5, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

1. No

You need to meet these requirements to apply under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:

have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening).

3. No unless you qualify for CEC or FSW. You need an employer to qualify for FSW2 (permanent job offer)
Hi PMM and applied4PR,
Thank you so much for your inputs. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I guess if one has open work permit
1. They can work for any one
2. They may be able to set up their business
3. If they qualify (Language and skill and experience) and have 12 months of Canadian experience they can apply for PR (CEC class) (provided they are willing to live outside of Quebec).
4. I think 4 year work permit rule does not apply. Leave canada after 4 year work permit in Canada and go back to their home country.
5. Can apply for PNP if they get offer of permanent Job in that particular province.
6. Can apply for FSW category if they meet all the qualifications. Because any one can apply for FSW category (whether living in Canada or outside Canada) how having or not having open work permit effect that.

I really appreciate your inputs guys. Thank you.

applied4PR

Star Member
Jul 28, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

1. No

So if one has an OWP and a job offer letter, can one apply for PNP right away from inside Canada, while working on that job?

saleemjosh

Star Member
May 5, 2009
applied4PR said:
So if one has an OWP and a job offer letter, can one apply for PNP right away from inside Canada, while working on that job?
As per my understanding that offer must be permanent job offer.