+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WES - Open University UK

foozist

Sep 15, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has any insights on 1 year Postgraduate Certificate (distance learning - 60 credits) from Open University (UK)? Has that degree been recognized by WES for anyone in this forum?

WES does recognize the university but they can't tell if the program will be recognized on call.

mona247

Sep 26, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
60 UK credits will go through as one year college diploma (one semester) . This will not help in claiming additional points in express entry.

Please make sure you do a 120 UK credits program to get one year Equivalency in canada.

foozist

Sep 15, 2020
@mona247 Thank you for the insight. May I know if this is something based on your experience with WES? The website of this course says that 1 credit equals 10 hours of study, making it 600 hours for the entire course. I've checked equivalent courses in Canadian universities and they come to about 500 for a 1 year PG certificate. But if the insight that you have provided is based on your experience with WES or something similar, then there's no question.

Link to the course: http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/postgraduate/qualifications/k24

mona247

Sep 26, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
@mona247 Thank you for the insight. May I know if this is something based on your experience with WES? The website of this course says that 1 credit equals 10 hours of study, making it 600 hours for the entire course. I've checked equivalent courses in Canadian universities and they come to about 500 for a 1 year PG certificate. But if the insight that you have provided is based on your experience with WES or something similar, then there's no question.

Link to the course: http://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/postgraduate/qualifications/k24
please read this thread in detail.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/wes-eca-for-uk-top-up-degrees-hnd-bcs-heq-and-uk-mba.623151/page-10#post-8852084

foozist

Sep 15, 2020
@mona247 Thank you so much Mona, this was very convincing and helpful. I've changed my mind and will most likely pursue the course you had posted the link to given my bachelors in Finance (https://www.othm.org.uk/othm-level-7-diploma-in-accounting-and-finance.html). It's reassuring that people have gotten WES evaluations on similar courses from Qualifi/OTHM. Qualifi has a similar course, I might go with the cheaper option.

My question is, did you end up pursuing this course and did you do it via distance learning? I'm based in Saudi Arabia with a full time job, hence, distance learning is my preferred option.

Thanks once again!

mona247

Sep 26, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
@mona247 Thank you so much Mona, this was very convincing and helpful. I've changed my mind and will most likely pursue the course you had posted the link to given my bachelors in Finance (https://www.othm.org.uk/othm-level-7-diploma-in-accounting-and-finance.html). It's reassuring that people have gotten WES evaluations on similar courses from Qualifi/OTHM. Qualifi has a similar course, I might go with the cheaper option.

My question is, did you end up pursuing this course and did you do it via distance learning? I'm based in Saudi Arabia with a full time job, hence, distance learning is my preferred option.

Thanks once again!
I have a WES ECA for this course.. it's says One year PG diploma equivalency in Canada. Rest assured you will get it.
https://www.othm.org.uk/othm-level-7-diploma-in-accounting-and-finance.html

However, a word of caution. This is a Level 7 Diploma and almost equal to RQF level 7 in the UK which is almost master's level in the UK.

It is not a cake walk to complete the assignments and it's not a very straight forward course.
Depending on which institute you join and how much tutor support you get, that determines the number of month you will take to complete the course.

Qualifi, OTHM or ATHE.. it's all the same story!!

foozist

Sep 15, 2020
I see, sounds good. Thanks once again for the detailed insights. Last question: I've read that WES doesn't evaluate 100% online courses. Was your course online, distance learning (the assessments are monitored in a live setting I believe) or classroom/blended based?

mona247

Sep 26, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I see, sounds good. Thanks once again for the detailed insights. Last question: I've read that WES doesn't evaluate 100% online courses. Was your course online, distance learning (the assessments are monitored in a live setting I believe) or classroom/blended based?
Mine was 100% online.. don't over think it. OTHM level 7 in accounting and finance is 100 recognized by wes as 1 year PG diploma but the course is not a cake walk to crack. !!

foozist

Sep 15, 2020
Sounds great, may I know which provider/website did you do the course with and how long did it take you? Hopefully, I can finish it in less than a year, as the website says it can be done in 6 months, but it looks quite challenging as you highlighted. But if I do, I hope that won't be an issue on the transcript as the Canadian immigration website says the course should be of minimum 1 year length.

Last edited:

foozist

Sep 15, 2020
Ok sure, it would be great if you just let me know which provider/website you used. I'll then add a summary of the entire discussion as a post on that thread for others.

mona247

Sep 26, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Ok sure, it would be great if you just let me know which provider/website you used. I'll then add a summary of the entire discussion as a post on that thread for others.
https://www.othm.org.uk/
Find an approved centre near you

Go ahead with any center. To be honest you can not trust any center, even the center whom I used did not have a good tutor support.
End of the day, you can pick any, the story is the same, you need to slog it out and make the assignments with Harvard style references and citations.

Once again I wish to caution you a level 7 diploma is not a cake walk!! marketing guys will advertise 6 months, I invested a lot of time in it and it took me close to 10 months to finish. Now because of the pandemic, external verification of assignments is slow and also Internal verification/correction process is slow too.. Be realistic and do not expect miracles unless you find a center who is ready to help you a lot and provide excellent tutor support and express feedback on assignments.

foozist

Sep 15, 2020
By the way, I just spoke to one of the centres, they advised me to do a level 4 or 5 diploma course as it's easier. I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on this?

Anmol Saini

Jun 21, 2024
60 UK credits will go through as one year college diploma (one semester) . This will not help in claiming additional points in express entry.

Please make sure you do a 120 UK credits program to get one year Equivalency in canada.

Hi,

I have BA honours in early childhood education from open university. It is a 360 credit degree and I just wanted to know if WES will evaluate it in Canada ? I am planning to do masters in Canada or America. Please let me know!