+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Weekend commute from USA (NY) to Canada (Ontario)

Sansha27

Aug 8, 2024
Hi everyone,

I’m seeking advice from this helpful community about the feasibility of weekend travel between Rochester, NY, and Ontario, Canada. My spouse is working in the GTA area and is a Canadian Permanent Resident. I’m an Indian citizen working in the U.S. on an H1B visa, with a valid Canadian tourist visa. My spouse will soon be sponsoring me for Canadian PR, but I don’t plan to move to Canada for now.

My plan is to travel to Canada on Fridays and return to the U.S. on Sundays. I’d like to know if this weekend travel schedule is feasible or if there might be any issues with frequent border crossings. Additionally, any suggestions for daily commuting options between our locations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

justinline

May 19, 2009
Hi everyone,

I’m seeking advice from this helpful community about the feasibility of weekend travel between Rochester, NY, and Ontario, Canada. My spouse is working in the GTA area and is a Canadian Permanent Resident. I’m an Indian citizen working in the U.S. on an H1B visa, with a valid Canadian tourist visa. My spouse will soon be sponsoring me for Canadian PR, but I don’t plan to move to Canada for now.

My plan is to travel to Canada on Fridays and return to the U.S. on Sundays. I’d like to know if this weekend travel schedule is feasible or if there might be any issues with frequent border crossings. Additionally, any suggestions for daily commuting options between our locations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Weekend travel is fine, as long as you have the H1b stamped (preferable for US entry) and PR (or any other visa for Canadian entry).

As for daily travel Rochester to GTA, that is not feasible. One of my friend used to live in Fort Erie and would commute to Rochester for his job. Even that is 2 hrs one way with immigration and traffic considered. He would usually travel Monday to Rochester come back on Wednesday to Fort Erie do remote work rest of the week. Some time he would take two trips a week as well and some weeks just work remote. Avoid Niagra area, that has lot of tourist clogging up the border.

Sansha27

Aug 8, 2024
Weekend travel is fine, as long as you have the H1b stamped (preferable for US entry) and PR (or any other visa for Canadian entry).

As for daily travel Rochester to GTA, that is not feasible. One of my friend used to live in Fort Erie and would commute to Rochester for his job. Even that is 2 hrs one way with immigration and traffic considered. He would usually travel Monday to Rochester come back on Wednesday to Fort Erie do remote work rest of the week. Some time he would take two trips a week as well and some weeks just work remote. Avoid Niagra area, that has lot of tourist clogging up the border.
Thank you so much for your response. This helps a lot. Do you know if I need to file taxes for both US and Canada if I do the same?

justinline

May 19, 2009
Thank you so much for your response. This helps a lot. Do you know if I need to file taxes for both US and Canada if I do the same?
Most like yes.

I have applied for global entry program. Will that work as well?
I think while entry to US Global entry works same as Nexus. For Canada entry Global entry does not work. Better to get Nexus if commuting between US and Canada.