+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wedding Certificate

simon18309

Sep 17, 2020
Hi all ,

My first post here and I need some input from you all. My wife and I married in July 2020 in Ontario. However, we still haven't receive the wedding certificate and it has been 10 weeks from our wedding. I called Service Ontario and they said they couldn't honour the service standard due to Covid19 and they don't know how long does it take them to issue our wedding certificate.

She was from Hong Kong and currently has a working visa under "Young Professionals" International Experience Canada. Her visa does not allow her to extend and it is due to expired on Nov 6 2020. The whole situation put us in a bit of dilemma.

Should we

1) submit our application before her working visa expired without the wedding certificate? Give them an explanation letter and submit it once I get it.

OR

2)wait until we get the wedding certificate before we submit our application? I will transfer her status to Visitor and stay in Canada

Please share any information or idea with me. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all ,

My first post here and I need some input from you all. My wife and I married in July 2020 in Ontario. However, we still haven't receive the wedding certificate and it has been 10 weeks from our wedding. I called Service Ontario and they said they couldn't honour the service standard due to Covid19 and they don't know how long does it take them to issue our wedding certificate.

She was from Hong Kong and currently has a working visa under "Young Professionals" International Experience Canada. Her visa does not allow her to extend and it is due to expired on Nov 6 2020. The whole situation put us in a bit of dilemma.

Should we

1) submit our application before her working visa expired without the wedding certificate? Give them an explanation letter and submit it once I get it.

OR

2)wait until we get the wedding certificate before we submit our application? I will transfer her status to Visitor and stay in Canada

Please share any information or idea with me. Thank you!
If you submit without the certificate, it's almost guaranteed the application will be returned to you as incomplete. She will end up out of status in Canada and you'll end up losing months where the application could have been processing.

Go with #2.

Reactions: simon18309

simon18309

Sep 17, 2020
If you submit without the certificate, it's almost guaranteed the application will be returned to you as incomplete. She will end up out of status in Canada and you'll end up losing months where the application could have been processing.

Go with #2.
Thank you for your reply. That's what I feel. CIC stated this on their website

"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html said:
If you already applied for a document but it’s delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you can send proof that you’re trying to get it (like a receipt). Include a letter to tell us why you don’t have the document and when you’ll get it. Send us the document as soon as you have it to avoid more delays.
Not sure what does it mean or it will have any impact to how they decide.

Thanks again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. That's what I feel. CIC stated this on their website

"

Not sure what does it mean or it will have any impact to how they decide.

Thanks again.
Your choice but I would personally wait. We've seen applications returned during COVID-19 for this reason. You'll be rolling a pretty big dice. Again, your call. Note that the link you gave also says this:

If you apply, you still need to submit a complete application. This means you must include all the supporting documents we ask for. If you can’t get some of these documents right now, you should wait to apply until you can get them.

kial

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
I applied mine on August and just got it yesterday. I chose expedite with proof of an emergency

simon18309

Sep 17, 2020
I applied mine on August and just got it yesterday. I chose expedite with proof of an emergency
Did you have it register before? The problem now with Service Ontario is they can’t have it register in 10 weeks of time.

Also, did you apply expedite service in person? The lady on the phone told me they dont offer expedite service. This really confused me. Thank you!

kial

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
Yes they told me it takes up to 10 weeks but most the time takes less. Just took me around a month. I did apply in person if you are in Toronto will be service Ontario in Yonge and sheppard. You can apply as expedited but you To have bring proof of emergency see the list on the website and bring what you can