+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to apply for Citizenship but confused!!!!!!!!Need help pls.

dhaka

Aug 8, 2009
Hi all,
End of Aug 2009, I'll overcome 1095 days of Basic presence but short 8 months for physical presence. Question is: Can I apply Citizenship now or have to wait until finish 1095 days of physical presence? If so or not please need clerify.
Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what they say at http://services3.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do?&lang=en :

Only a citizenship judge can determine if you meet the residence requirements with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence.

They also say at http://services3.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do?redir=faq#PP :

Physical presence in Canada is the amount of time you have lived in Canada within the relevant four-year period, minus time spent serving a sentence, and minus the days you have been physically absent from Canada. If you have fewer than three (3) years (1,095 days) of physical presence but at least three (3) years of basic residence less time served, the citizenship judge will evaluate the nature of your residence in Canada. However, your application will take longer to process and may be refused. See Question 8 for more information on applying with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence.

And what they refer to as Question 8:

B. APPLYING WITH FEWER THAN 1,095 DAYS OF PHYSICAL PRESENCE

Q8: I have more than 1,095 days of basic residence (or basic residence taking into account time spent serving a sentence) but fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence. Should I apply now or wait until I have 1,095 days of physical presence?

A8: Only a citizenship judge can determine if you meet the residence requirements with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence. If you apply with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence, a citizenship judge will evaluate the nature of your residence in Canada. You will be asked to complete a residence questionnaire and provide evidence that establishes residence in Canada, and you might be asked to appear in person before a citizenship judge. When you apply with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence, your application will take longer to process and may be refused by the citizenship judge.

Deciding to apply with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence is a personal decision that should be made carefully and take into account your personal circumstances.

I think it would be better for you to avoid problems to wait for 8 months plus give it another couple of weeks to be sure before you send in the application but as they say above, it is your choice.

dhaka

Aug 8, 2009
Thank you Leon for your precise info that CIC's say. Anyway, let's say that I'll apply and get RQ, after getting RQ what's the duration for finalize the Citizenship application? I mean any idea how long it'll take.
Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know how long it takes you to get an RQ and how long after that it takes to get citizenship. Processing times for citizenship can vary greatly even when everything is ok and PR status is not in question. The average is listed as 12-15 months but I have heard of people saying they got it in 8 months and mine took 2.5 years without CIC ever asking me for more information or giving me any explanation why it was taking so long. I didn't actually ask either since I was quite happily living in Canada as a PR and not in any hurry to get it. In fact I was starting to think they had lost my file when all of a sudden I got the letter to appear for test.

dhaka

Aug 8, 2009
Thank you Leon for your reply. I'm thinking what I'll do. Apply or wait for 1095 days of physical presence.

dhaka

Aug 8, 2009
To Leon, if I apply fewer than 1095 days of physical presence, but basic presence is more than 1095 days. Now what will happen? Will get RQ?
Thank you