+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for VAC New York to return my passport

mohit12

Apr 6, 2015
Hello,

I am visiting Canada for attending a conference for a week.(April 8th - April 15th)

I had applied for the Visitor Visa on March 22nd(I know I applied it late but did not know that it will take this long.)

This is the timeline:

1. Applied online - March 22nd.
2. Original passport request - March 25th
3. Passport received by VAC in NY - March 27th.
4. Status of application in VAC tracker changed to 'Passport Received by the Visa Office - Under Consideration' - March 30th
5. Status of application in MyCIC changed to approved and closed - April 2nd.

I have called the VAC call center in NY several times asking them when will the embassy send my passport but they don't give any answers. They only say we don't know or wait for 15 days. I don't understand why would the embassy take so long to just mail the passport when the application was already approved on April 2nd. The process is very frustrating and I already had to delay my trip a few days. I'm still hoping I can still make it to the conference which starts this Friday April 10th.

It would be great if someone in this forum could share some information on when I could expect to get the passport!

Many thanks.

mohit12

Apr 6, 2015
I'm still waiting for the Visa office to send my passport to me. I can't make it to the conference now. It's ridiculous how long they make one wait just for returning the passports. Talks a lot about how inefficient their system is. The VAC call center is not helpful and does not provide any more information than what is already on the VAC website and the tracker. A lot of the times the representatives are rude while giving answers. What I don't understand is my application in MyCIC got approved on Thursday April 2nd and the Visa office for some reason is still holding my passport. Can anyone here please help me in explaining why they would do this? I appreciate any response.

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
Sorry to hear about your troubles!

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the offices were most likely closed from the 3rd to the 6th of April due to Easter holidays. They probably reopened on Tuesday, so I would think you might get your passport today or tomorrow... Just bad timing in my opinion..