+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wait time for an interview?

kate61

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
FAM
Our conjugal sponsorship application will be one year on Sept 13th. We were told in July that we need to wait for an interview. My bf is in Albania. Does anyone know how long they make a person wait for the interview? The processing time is 12 months but now that they want an interview I was told forget the 12 months processing time. But how can they just say wait? Wait how long now??
So frustrating!!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Our conjugal sponsorship application will be one year on Sept 13th. We were told in July that we need to wait for an interview. My bf is in Albania. Does anyone know how long they make a person wait for the interview? The processing time is 12 months but now that they want an interview I was told forget the 12 months processing time. But how can they just say wait? Wait how long now??
So frustrating!!!
Conjugal apps generally take way longer than usual, so you shouldn't have expected a normal processing time anyways. With an interview, the posted processing time doesn't apply. It will be an individual timeline based on the app.

How do you qualify as conjugal? What are your legal/immigration barriers?

Reactions: Buletruck

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Why are you guys going conjugal? What's preventing you from getting married?

kate61

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
FAM
Why are you guys going conjugal? What's preventing you from getting married?
He can't come here on a visitor visa, not enough money or property where he is as per a Visa stipulations and I can't travel for medical reasons. We met online almost 3 years ago and are devoted to each other and want a life together.

kate61

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
FAM
Conjugal apps generally take way longer than usual, so you shouldn't have expected a normal processing time anyways. With an interview, the posted processing time doesn't apply. It will be an individual timeline based on the app.

How do you qualify as conjugal? What are your legal/immigration barriers?
Ok thats great, my paralegal who took thousands of dollars from me to do this application lied to me. :(

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
He can't come here on a visitor visa, not enough money or property where he is as per a Visa stipulations and I can't travel for medical reasons. We met online almost 3 years ago and are devoted to each other and want a life together.
I'm guessing you have medical documentation showing that you can't travel to any country where he could come too to get married and that you sent that in? Conjugal is generally difficult to prove because you have to prove legal and/or immigration barrier that makes it impossible for you two to get married anywhere in the world (see discussion below, I was wrong on the anywhere in the world part) and the usual reasons, such as money, we prefer not to get married right now, etc don't cut it.

Him not being able to come to Canada because he can't get a tourist visa is valid, but I'm not sure how you went about proving your side with the medical issue.

I think if they were going to flat out refuse your application, they would have done it already given that you're coming up on a year since sending it, but do prepare thoroughly for the interview.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Conjugal is generally difficult to prove because you have to prove legal and/or immigration barrier that makes it impossible for you two to get married anywhere in the world
This is incorrect. There is no requirement to prove that they cannot marry anywhere in the world.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Did he actually apply and get refused a TRV? Have you ever met in person?

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
This is incorrect. There is no requirement to prove that they cannot marry anywhere in the world.
Really? Why do people then always ask stuff like, "Why didn't you go to country A, B, or C and get married there?" As in, say I can't come to Canada but maybe both myself and my SO can go to Germany and get married there, so why didn't we?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Really? Why do people then always ask stuff like, "Why didn't you go to country A, B, or C and get married there?" As in, say I can't come to Canada but maybe both myself and my SO can go to Germany and get married there, so why didn't we?
People probably say that because a married app is easier and processes faster than a conjugal app. However, it is not a requirement of IRCC. Take the example of a person refused a TRV to Canada and unable to marry their same-sex partner in their country because homosexuality is illegal. If they had to prove that they couldn't get married in a third country, they would have to show visa refusals for every single country where gay marriage is illegal. IRCC does not require this.

Reactions: np08

kate61

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
FAM
I'm guessing you have medical documentation showing that you can't travel to any country where he could come too to get married and that you sent that in? Conjugal is generally difficult to prove because you have to prove legal and/or immigration barrier that makes it impossible for you two to get married anywhere in the world and the usual reasons, such as money, we prefer not to get married right now, etc don't cut it.

Him not being able to come to Canada because he can't get a tourist visa is valid, but I'm not sure how you went about proving your side with the medical issue.

I think if they were going to flat out refuse your application, they would have done it already given that you're coming up on a year since sending it, but do prepare thoroughly for the interview.
Yes I provided my medical info from my doctor in the application. Of course if I could fly I would go to him or we would meet somewhere. But it just isn't possibly for me. We provided all our documents and everything required. Yes we still have hope but being separated from the one you love is so brutal. Our lives are on hold waiting. :( thank you for your comments

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
People probably say that because a married app is easier and processes faster than a conjugal app. However, it is not a requirement of IRCC. Take the example of a person refused a TRV to Canada and unable to marry their same-sex partner in their country because homosexuality is illegal. If they had to prove that they couldn't get married in a third country, they would have to show visa refusals for every single country where gay marriage is illegal. IRCC does not require this.
That's actually really good. I did think that you had to go elsewhere, and I did see threads with same sex couples where they were asked why they didn't travel to countries that have same sex marriage so I assumed it's a must. I'll edit my original post.

So then in this case they would just ask if he went to Canada and why not (which is covered) and if she went to Albania and why not (which presumably is covered by the medical issue)?

Which does beg the question if they've met in person which would be a red flag if not and would be the reason for an interview.

kate61

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
FAM
I can't fly so no I can't go anywhere and meet him. I have medical records to show this!

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
I can't fly so no I can't go anywhere and meet him. I have medical records to show this!
Yeah, please see the rest of the discussion between canuck_in_uk and myself, we cleared stuff up.

Have you met at all in the past? Are these medical issues recent or have they been present throughout so you never had a chance to meet in person? If you haven't met at all, that's definitely a reason for an interview.

kate61

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
FAM
Yeah, please see the rest of the discussion between canuck_in_uk and myself, we cleared stuff up.

Have you met at all in the past? Are these medical issues recent or have they been present throughout so you never had a chance to meet in person? If you haven't met at all, that's definitely a reason for an interview.
No problem :) yes I've had this medical issue from childhood. I don't travel. So while we have never met in the flesh, we have spent countless hours on camera talking. We talk through messenger from morning til night every single day never missing a day since Feb 2016. He's my life and I'm his. We desperately want to be together. Immigration must know people meet over the internet and fall in love. We met by chance on fb and starting innocently talking to each other and fell in love before we knew what hit us. Would anyone choose this difficulty? No but here we are.
Sorry for the long winded reply its just I have no one to turn to for help with this. so thank you all for your replies.