+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Volunteering on a visitors visa?

Edenshelby

Dec 12, 2014
Hey, I'm currently in Canada on a visitors visa, me and my partner are getting together all the information and the funds we need to apply for common law sponsorship. I have already been in Canada for almost 6 months, and I know it is still going to be quite a long time before my PR will be accepted. I already know that I am not allowed to work in Canada on a visitors visa, but what is the de with volunteering?

I have read a lot about it, and the general message I get is that you are not allowed to do it because the government see it as taking work from Canadians and people coming over on a work visa, but if it was to volunteer for a charity like the BCSPCA then would it be a problem, as volunteering for them isn't taking a paid position?

Any help would be great, as I really would like to volunteer and do something useful with my time that I am waiting for the PR to process! ;D

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Edenshelby said:
Hey, I'm currently in Canada on a visitors visa, me and my partner are getting together all the information and the funds we need to apply for common law sponsorship. I have already been in Canada for almost 6 months, and I know it is still going to be quite a long time before my PR will be accepted. I already know that I am not allowed to work in Canada on a visitors visa, but what is the de with volunteering?

I have read a lot about it, and the general message I get is that you are not allowed to do it because the government see it as taking work from Canadians and people coming over on a work visa, but if it was to volunteer for a charity like the BCSPCA then would it be a problem, as volunteering for them isn't taking a paid position?

Any help would be great, as I really would like to volunteer and do something useful with my time that I am waiting for the PR to process! ;D
As long as any unpaid work that you do has ZERO impact (actual or potential) on the Canadian labour market, you are likely to be OK.

kaya~*

Jan 20, 2015
Hello,

I'm pretty much in the same position as Eden, I would like to do something productive with my time. I just got approved a 6 months visitor visa extension and trying to figure out what can I do w all this time until I get married and file for PR.

zardoz said:
As long as any unpaid work that you do has ZERO impact (actual or potential) on the Canadian labour market, you are likely to be OK.
How do I prove that it's zero impact?

So basically I can't walk in the school or clinic down the road of where I live and offer them my help for free?

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
kaya~* said:
Hello,

I'm pretty much in the same position as Eden, I would like to do something productive with my time. I just got approved a 6 months visitor visa extension and trying to figure out what can I do w all this time until I get married and file for PR.

How do I prove that it's zero impact?

So basically I can't walk in the school or clinic down the road of where I live and offer them my help for free?

Thanks
If you do work that they *could* reasonably be expected to pay someone to do, no... You would be replacing a potential employee. It doesn't matter if they *wouldn't* employ someone... It's a fine line to walk.

kaya~*

Jan 20, 2015
So, it better to not do anything at all because if you are genuinely trying to help it can backfire?

I wonder if there is anywhere I could find more detailed information regarding this?

Thanks

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
kaya~* said:
So, it better to not do anything at all because if you are genuinely trying to help it can backfire?

I wonder if there is anywhere I could find more detailed information regarding this?

Thanks
If it is announced as volunteering you can do it. Lots of visitors volunteer in order to practice their English skills.

If you out of the blue offer your services for a $0 fee, that is working and that can't be done.

So stick to recognized volunteering programs.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
Jalex23 said:
If it is announced as volunteering you can do it. Lots of visitors volunteer in order to practice their English skills.

If you out of the blue offer your services for a $0 fee, that is working and that can't be done.

So stick to recognized volunteering programs.

If I wrote or say that my parents will look after my Childern when my wife work then Cic will take it as working as they taking away job of one Canadian baby sitter .
On other hand if your parent are on visit visa and you both (husb and wife) go for work and they stay home with uR kids then nothing illegal.
So there is grey area .

kaya~*

Jan 20, 2015
Ya I just don't want to get in trouble lol after all I'm only doing it to help no way I wanna get caught in a situation where I am liable for just wanting to help. So therefore I just won't help and kill time cleaning my house or something...

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Aquib said:
If I wrote or say that my parents will look after my Childern when my wife work then Cic will take it as working as they taking away job of one Canadian baby sitter .
On other hand if your parent are on visit visa and you both (husb and wife) go for work and they stay home with uR kids then nothing illegal.
So there is grey area .
I don't see a gray area there.

If you specifically bring your parents/sister/uncle/etc to look after your children when you go to work then YES it is illegal. If your parents during their short visit (2-3 weeks) take care of your baby while you are out that is by no means illegal, they are just helping. You have to take into account the nature of the "visit" (would you put a visitor in your house to take care of your baby on a daily basis for 8 hours a day? that sounds by all means like a job).

The same goes for volunteering, if it is a spot that was specifically written for volunteers you are not taking any work away from anyone. If you go and offer your services for 0$ dollar fee that is illegal as you are actually getting in the way of a job opportunity.

Volunteering is quite simple, if it is announced as volunteering you can do it.