+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vitiligo & depression can be Humanitarian considerations?

lsjereza

Mar 19, 2018
Hi

I am outside canada and I did not meet the 730 days rule. I've been 5 years in my home country.

I suffered Vitiligo which is a loss of pigmentation disorder in which white patches appear on the skin. It is not contagious condition. But people with vitiligo has to suffer emotional distress due to this depigmentation resulting in skin white patches problem in their skin. so I also had depression.

I already overcome these problems, so I would like to know if Vitiligo and Depression can be humanitarian and compassionate considerations to keep my PR status.

I also have a lot of friends and relatives in Canada, the closest are my sister, my 6 years-old nephew, and my mother. besides, I don't have strong ties in my home country.

do I have any chance?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Perhaps I do not understand as I am not a medical professional but why would these conditions have stopped you from being in Canada especially given your support network in Canada that you mentioned in your last sentence as opposed to your home country .Seems doubtful that they would be valid H&C reasons given treatment may be equally available in Canada but that is only my opinion.

Last edited:

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Perhaps I do not understand as I am not a medical professional but why would these conditions have stopped you from being in Canada especially given your support network in Canada that you mentioned in your last sentence as opposed to your home country .Seems doubtful that they would be valid H&C reasons given treatment may be equally available in Canada but that is only my opinion.
Yes, the fact that the OP doesn't have strong ties in her home country makes her H&C claim more difficult. It would make more sense to stay in Canada where your friends/family are to give you support.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi

I am outside canada and I did not meet the 730 days rule. I've been 5 years in my home country.

I suffered Vitiligo which is a loss of pigmentation disorder in which white patches appear on the skin. It is not contagious condition. But people with vitiligo has to suffer emotional distress due to this depigmentation resulting in skin white patches problem in their skin. so I also had depression.

I already overcome these problems, so I would like to know if Vitiligo and Depression can be humanitarian and compassionate considerations to keep my PR status.

I also have a lot of friends and relatives in Canada, the closest are my sister, my 6 years-old nephew, and my mother. besides, I don't have strong ties in my home country.

do I have any chance?
I would guess very low chance on H&C. You would have received free medical care and had family support in Canada, yet you made a personal choice not to live here. I really don't see the H&C reason at all.

lsjereza

Mar 19, 2018
thank you all for your replies,

the thing is that my mother used to live in my home country at that time. Then I stayed here because I didn't want to interrupt my treatments.

currently, I have some family ties in Canada, what about them? aren't they a reason to keep my PR status?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

the thing is that my mother used to live in my home country at that time. Then I stayed here because I didn't want to interrupt my treatments.

currently, I have some family ties in Canada, what about them? aren't they a reason to keep my PR status?
It was your personal decision, as you could have sought treatment in Canada. I see little chance for a successful H&C case.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Although vitiligo may be emotionally upsetting it doesn't cause any physical disability or pain. so it would be very hard to say vitiligo would prevent you from living in Canada. Were you working or studying while in your home country? That would also count against your attempt to apply for H&C. As specified before if there is no reason why you couldn't safely come to Canada to receive treatment there is no reason that you couldn't have met the RO.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
What were you doing during that five years? Working, studying, hidden away at home?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013

If your family ties weren't strong enough to bring you to Canada to live here, how can you expect them to be strong enough to allow you to keep your PR?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

All anyone here can do is guess a possible outcome based on the info you provided, and comparing to similar cases on record yours seems like a very weak case for H&C However all factors you present (medical reasons, ties in Canada, etc) will be taken into account by the appeals board. Ultimately that is the only decision that matters.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I studied at university and I was under treatment

thanks to everyone for your replies
Studying outside of Canada is typically not accepted as an H&C reason for having failed to meet RO. For treatment, you could have been treated in Canada and it may be difficult to convince CIC that you had to be outside of Canada. This makes it look like you were outside of Canada by choice.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Studying outside of Canada is typically not accepted as an H&C reason for having failed to meet RO. For treatment, you could have been treated in Canada and it may be difficult to convince CIC that you had to be outside of Canada. This makes it look like you were outside of Canada by choice.
Which is exactly why I asked the question... If the OP was able to study, depression cannot have been severe enough to prevent returning to Canada.
This is how it is likely to be viewed when applying for H&C consideration.