+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visting Canada So Soon After Coming Back

JamesTennant

Jun 13, 2010
Hi all.

I recently spent nine months in Canada (Yes I applied for the extension and I do have documentation to prove it was accepted)

I thoroughly enjoyed my time out there and I would love it if I could go back as soon as I have some money to do so. I want to go for around august...that would mean I have been in Canada for 9 months, come back to the UK for 3 months and then head out again and would probably like to stay for another 9 months again. I figure as I didnt break any laws, that it would be ok to do that.

Also, I have a freelance writing job. I sit at my laptop and write articles for various clients. Do I need a work permit for this or not? What do I say to the Border Officer about this job? If anything at all. I am not taking jobs away from Canadian citizens, nor am I working for a Canadian company, I am registered as self employed in the UK.

If someone could just give me a few pointers about wha tht best course of action is, that would be fantastic!

Thank you!

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I have no real idea but from what I know........you have returned to the UK, so when you re enter Canada as a non visa required person, you will have another 6 months to stay.

Depends on the IO, I would certainly try and have a good amount of money or proven credit with you upon arrival, to prove that you are able to sustain yourself for the 6 months. I would also not mention that you intend to extend your visit when you arrive, that can be dealt with later.

As for working as a free lance, that is certainly legal as long as the money is paid into a UK bank and you pay UK taxes etc, whether the IO will except this I do not know.

Probably best to be honest but not over explain your situation.

I am sure better experts than me could help you though.

JamesTennant

Jun 13, 2010
Thanks, I thought it would be best not to explain my situation too much as well...it isnt necessary and yes I do pay my wages into a UK bank and I do pay UK taxes. I am thinking that I simply get a return flight for about 2 weeks later and just extend my stay once out there.

Thank you.

Any more advice would be great.