+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa to LMIA based work permit

mj7239

Oct 5, 2020
Hello,

I have questions. I'm currently on visitor status and waiting for my LMIA to be approved; applied in July but still nothing.
I haven't received the LMIA letter but I'm just wondering if I can apply for lmia based work permit with proof of submission that my employer applied LMIA or not.

Also, if I apply for a work permit would I be able to work under the new temporary policy ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I have questions. I'm currently on visitor status and waiting for my LMIA to be approved; applied in July but still nothing.
I haven't received the LMIA letter but I'm just wondering if I can apply for lmia based work permit with proof of submission that my employer applied LMIA or not.

Also, if I apply for a work permit would I be able to work under the new temporary policy ?
Yes, you can apply for the work permit before the LMIA is approved and include evidence the LMIA is in progress.

No - you cannot start woriing. The temporary policy doesn't apply to your situation. It only applies to individuals who are already on closed work permits in Canada. You must wait until your work permit is approved before you can start wroking.

mj7239

Oct 5, 2020
Yes, you can apply for the work permit before the LMIA is approved and include evidence the LMIA is in progress.

No - you cannot start woriing. The temporary policy doesn't apply to your situation. It only applies to individuals who are already on closed work permits in Canada. You must wait until your work permit is approved before you can start wroking.
Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
While on visit LMIA being processed if it goes beyond 6 months is that fine? as we can stay maximum 6 months per visit.
You would need to apply for an extension.

People should be aware that due to the higher unemployment rate the prioirity will be for those who are already legally able to work to get back to work first. It mah be much more difficult to get a WP than even last year unless you have rare skills. It may also take a very long timw to get an answer about both LMIA and WP.